Who says grilling has to be just for meats. Veggies taste great off the grill. My Grilled Shrimp and Veggies can be eaten as is, served as a salad or pasta salad, or made into grilled tacos. This is a meal everyone can make their own and you don’t have to do anything extra. So get out the grill and keep it out because grilling season is just getting started.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe, you will need measuring cups and spoons, a large bowl, a knife and cutting board, a blender or food processor, a baking sheet, tongs and the grill.
Make your recipe your own by using your favorite vegetables, meats or fruits.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, blender or the grill by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Grilled Shrimp and Veggies (4-6 servings)
½ lb. Red Potatoes, Cut into quarters
½ lb. Zucchini or Yellow Squash, Cut into quarters lengthwise, about 2 squash
-Remove the bulb and stem ends.
½ lb. Grape or Cherry Tomatoes, Red or any other color you like
1 ea. Bell Pepper, Any color, cut into quarters
2 bu. Green Onions, 2 Bunches, Root end removed
1 lb. Shrimp, 21-25 count, Raw, Cleaned, Tail-on or Tail-off
-Substituting the seafood, meat, or tofu of your choice will change the cooking time.
As Needed: Olive Oil, Kosher or Sea Salt and Ground Black Pepper
1 ea. Avocado, Medium to Large
2 ea. Green Onion Pieces, Grilled
1 tsp Parsley, Fresh Minced or Dried Flakes
¼ Cup Mayonnaise
1 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar or Cider Vinegar
¼ - ½ Cup Milk, Milk Alternative, or Water
¼ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1/8 tsp Garlic, Fresh Minced or Granulated Dried
Optional: 1 lb. Romaine Lettuce to make salads, 1 lb. cooked and cooled pasta for pasta salads, or 6-8 soft or hard taco shells.
3. Line your baking sheet with foil or plastic wrap. Prepare each of your vegetables by washing and cutting them as directed. After you cut prepare each vegetable, place it in your bowl, add one tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to season. Mix well and place the vegetables on your tray. Repeat the process until all of your vegetables are seasoned and on your tray. Add your shrimp to the bowl and season with olive oil, salt and pepper. Leave your shrimp in the bowl for later.
4. Light your grill and heat to medium, or if you use charcoal place the hot briquettes on one side of your grill. Cook your vegetables away from the open flame so that the oil does not flair up and blacken your food.
5. Start with your dense veggies like potatoes, carrots, or peppers. Cook your potatoes and peppers with the lid on the grill for about 3 minutes. The vegetables should get a nice grill mark. Turn them and cook for another 3 minutes. If you have an upper rack on your grill place the potatoes and peppers there. If not you can put a piece of foil on the grill to put them on. Keep them on the grill while you cook your other vegetables so that they can finish cooking. The potatoes should take about 20 minutes total to cook.
6. Repeat the process with the remainder of your veggies. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side and remove from the grill when they are done. When you have finished cooking all of your vegetables, add your shrimp to the grill, and cook for about two minutes on each side. When the shrimp is nice and pink in color it is done.
7. While your vegetables are cooling add two of your green onions and the rest of the Avocado dressing ingredients to your blender. Blend until smooth. Start with ¼ cup of liquid. If your dressing is too thick you can add more to get it to the consistency you would like.
8. If you are serving make-your-own salads or pasta salads, prepare your lettuce or pasta now.
9. Cut your grilled vegetables into pieces or strips to top your dinner.
Top your grilled shrimp and veggies salad with avocado dressing. Mix your grilled shrimp and veggies with pasta and Avocado dressing for a fun pasta salad, or fill a shell with grilled shrimp and veggies and top with avocado dressing. This is a meal everyone can make their own.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Seasoning and mixing the vegetables
Adding all of the ingredients to the blender
Older helpers can help by: