Sometimes you just need something different for dinner. My Chicken Tortilla Soup is just the thing. It is easy to make, and it will keep for days if you would like to make it on the weekend for a weekday meal. It is also fun to serve because everyone can top it the way they want. Make it spicy or mild it is up to you.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe, you will need measuring cups and spoons, a knife and cutting board, a heatproof rubber spatula or wooden spoon, a large bowl, a baking sheet, a soup pot, a blender or immersion mixer, the stove and oven.
For my recipe I used chicken, but you could use beef, pork or a mix of vegetables instead of meat. I used chicken stock but if you want to make your soup vegetarian you can use vegetable stock.
If you are not allowed to use the a knife, stove, oven or blender by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Chicken Tortilla Soup (4-6 servings)
10-12 oz. Chicken Breast, Cooked and Diced into bite size pieces.
-For my recipe I purchased a cooked rotisserie chicken and used the breast meat
6 ea. Roma Tomatoes (Also known as plum tomatoes.)
1 ea. White Onion, Medium Sized, Large Dice
1 Tbl. Garlic, Minced or 3 whole garlic cloves peeled
4 Cups Chicken Stock or Broth, Low Sodium
1Can White Hominy, drained (15 oz. can, you can find this in the Latino section of the store)
1 Can Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce (7 oz. can)
-You will be using 1-2 peppers in your recipe and you can freeze the rest for another time.
2-3 Tbl. Oil, Vegetable or Olive
½ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1 tsp Cumin, Ground
6 ea. Corn Tortillas, 6 inch, Cut into thin strips
-If you do not want to make tortilla strips, you can use premade chips
As Needed Salt and Ground Black Pepper
Garnish with shredded cheese (Cotija, Queso Fresco, Cheddar, Jack, PepperJack), Sour Cream or Crema, Diced Avocado, Cilantro Leaves, Diced Tomatoes, Chips or your favorite toppings.
3. Preheat oven to 400F. Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil.
4. Cut the tomatoes into quarters (4 parts) and place into your large bowl. Add the large diced onion and garlic to the bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of oil to the bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Mix the vegetables to coat with oil and spices. Spread the vegetables over your baking sheet, place into the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes or until the vegetable just begin to brown.
5. While the vegetables are cooking prepare your chicken and tortilla strips.
6. Turn down the oven to 350F. Place a new piece of foil on your baking sheet. Spray your foil with a little pan spray and spread the tortilla strips evenly over your baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, just until the strips begin to brown. Remove the tortilla strips from the oven and set aside to cool and crisp up.
7. Place your cooked vegetables into your blender with 1 cup of chicken broth. Add 1 chipotle pepper from your can of chipotles in adobo to your blender. If you want your soup to be spicy, add 2 or more peppers to get to your soup to the level of heat you like.
8. Blend the vegetables until the mixture is smooth. Place your soup pot on the stove on medium heat and add the blended vegetables, 3 cups of chicken stock, diced chicken, salt, cumin and the drained hominy to the soup pot.
9. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for 10 min stirring occasionally.
Serve your Chicken Tortilla soup with your favorite toppings.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Mixing your cut vegetables
Spreading the ingredients on the baking sheet
Blending the vegetables
Older helpers can help by:
Making the recipe with a little guidance.