Uff Dah! As many of you may know, the Super Bowl is in Minnesota this year. Even though the Vikings did not make it to the game, I thought it would be fitting to celebrate Minnesota with one of its classic recipes, Tater Tot Hot Dish. Hot dish is the word for casserole in Minnesota, just like duck, duck, grey duck, is the Minnesota version of duck, duck, goose. While everyone has their own special version of Tater Tot Hot Dish they are all very similar, and while your friends may look at your Tater Tot masterpiece and say, “What is that?” they will not be able to deny how good it is. Enjoy the game everyone.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe, you will need measuring cups, a heatproof rubber spatula or wooden spoon, a large sauté pan, a mesh strainer, a 9 X 13 casserole pan, the stove and the oven.
For my recipe I used cheese sauce which is definitely not traditional. To make a traditional Tater Tot Hot Dish use shredded cheddar cheese instead of cheese sauce.
If you are not allowed to use the stove or oven by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Cheesy Tater Tot Hot Dish (6-8 servings)
2 lb. Ground Beef, 85/15 or your preferred blend.
-You can use ground turkey or vegetarian beef crumbles if you prefer.
2 Cans Cream of Mushroom Soup (10.5oz cans.)
-If you want your hot dish to be saucy you can use 3 cans of soup.
½ Cup Milk or Milk Alternative
1 Cup Corn, Frozen Kernels (You can add more if you would like)
1 Cup Peas and Carrots, Frozen (You can add more if you would like)
NOTE: Traditional Tater Tot recipes call for only corn and green beans. You can replace the peas and carrots with green beans or you can use your favorite frozen vegetables or vegetable blends.
1 Cup Cheese Sauce
1-2 lbs. Tater Tots, Frozen (The amount will vary based on the size of your pan)
3. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. Heat your sauté pan on the stove on medium high heat. Add the ground beef, and mash and mix it while it cooks, to cook the ground beef into little pieces.
5. When the beef is no longer pink in color it is done. Pour the beef into your strainer to drain off the excess fat. Spread the beef evenly over the bottom of your casserole pan.
6. In your large bowl mix your soup, milk and frozen vegetables. Spread the mixture evenly over the beef. Take 1 cup of cheese sauce and spread evenly over the vegetable mixture.
7. Arrange the tater tots on top of your hot dish.
8. Bake for 40 minutes. Turn the oven to 400F for 20 minutes to finish browning your tater tots.
Serve your Cheesy Tater Tot Hot Dish as is or serve it with some of my fry sauce. http://www.chefella.com/chefellassecretrecipes/2017/3/7/3717-chefellas-smashed-potatoes-and-fry-sauce
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Adding the ingredients to the pan
Arranging the tater tots on top
Older helpers can help by:
Preparing the beef
Making the recipe with a little guidance.