The unofficial start to summer is this weekend. Don’t start summer with the same old burger; try something fun like my Cheesy Meatloaf Burger? My recipe has everything you love about a grilled burger and your favorite meatloaf all wrapped into one. Serve it on a soft pretzel bun, Hawaiian roll, or a regular bun and enjoy your summer.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe, you will need measuring cups and spoons, a large bowl, a pancake turner, a baking sheet, and the grill.
Make your recipe your own by using your favorite blend of meat, spices, herbs, or vegetables.
Serve your cheesy meatloaf burger on a pretzel bun, Hawaiian roll, onion roll, or bolillos.
If you are not allowed to use the grill by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Cheesy Meatloaf Burger (8 servings)
1 lb. Ground Beef (85/15), Turkey, Chicken or your favorite ground meat for meatloaf
-If you like bacon in your meatloaf, just add 1 cup of cooked and chopped bacon.
2 ea. Eggs
1/3 Cup Bread Crumbs, Panko Style (If you use gluten free or regular bread crumbs use ¼ cup)
2 Cups Cheese, Shredded, about 6 oz. (Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or your favorite cheese)
1/3 Cup Ketchup (You will need extra ketchup to garnish your burgers)
1 tsp Onion Powder
½ tsp Garlic, Granulated
¼ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1/8 tsp Black Pepper, Ground
3. Place all of the ingredients except for the ground meat in your bowl and mix well. Add the ground meat and mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated into the meat.
4. Cover a baking sheet with foil or plastic wrap. Using a 1/3 cup, scoop the burger mixture, and place onto your baking sheet. When you have scooped all of the raw burger mixture onto the pan you may have a little left in your bowl. Divide the remainder of the mix and add to each of the burgers. Wet your hands as needed to keep the meat from sticking to them, and form each of the burgers into a patty. You can make your burgers in advance and refrigerate until you would like to cook them.
5. Light your grill. Cook your burgers on a low flame or away from the open flame so that the ketchup in your burger does not burn and blacken your food.
6. Place your burgers on the grill and cook for 3 - 4 minutes.
7. Turn your burgers over. Spoon a large teaspoon of ketchup on the cooked side of each burger, and use the back of the spoon to spread the ketchup over the top of each burger. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the burger reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Cooking time may vary based on the thickness of your burgers. If they are smaller or thinner, they will take less time to cook.
8. Remove the burgers from the grill and serve.
Serve your Cheesy Meatloaf Burger topped with lettuce, tomato, onion, sliced avocado, bacon, arugula, pickles, coleslaw or your favorite toppings.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Mixing the ingredients for the patties
Forming the burgers
Older helpers can help by:
Making everything for the burgers
Grilling while supervised