I wanted something sweet this week, but honestly I did not want to work that hard to make it, and so here they are ChefElla’s Banana Wontons. Easy to prep, not a lot to clean up, and honestly who doesn’t have a few ripe bananas waiting around to be something other than banana bread. Although banana bread would have been good too. Serve them with a little ice cream, some caramel or chocolate sauce and if any of them do make it past dessert, you can just reheat them in the toaster oven.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe, you will need measuring cups and spoons, a small bowl, a medium bowl, a knife (a table knife will work) and cutting board, a baking sheet, and the oven.
Make your recipe your own by using different fruits, nuts, flavorings, chocolates or candies.
If you are not allowed to use a knife or the oven by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Banana Wontons (24 servings)
2 ea. Bananas, Medium, Ripe, Small Dice
½ Cup Nuts, Chopped (Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds, Cashews or your favorite kind.)
¼ Cup Sugar
1 Tbl. Cinnamon
2 tsp Cornstarch
1 pkg. Wonton or Dumpling Wrappers
As Needed Butter or Pan Spray
3. Preheat your oven to 400F.
4. Add the sugar and cinnamon to your small bowl and mix well with a small fork or whisk.
5. Using your table knife or chef’s knife dice the bananas and place it in your medium bowl.
6. Add the cornstarch, nuts, and two tablespoons of the cinnamon sugar mixture to the bananas. Fold all of the ingredients together with a small spoon or fork.
7. Place foil or parchment paper on your baking sheet. If you use foil spray the foil with pan spray.
8. Add water to a small cup. Wonton wrappers need to stay covered while working with them so that they do not dry out. I keep mine in a resealable bag while working with a few at a time. You can also keep them covered with a damp cloth.
9. Lay 4-6 wontons out on the counter. Add 1 heaping teaspoon of the banana mixture to the middle of the wonton wrapper. If you use too much they will be hard to close. Dip your finger in the water and spread it on the edge of one half of a dumpling. More water is not better in this case.
10. Fold the dry edge of the dumpling over the filling onto the wet edge of the dumpling creating a half moon or half triangle shape. Pinch the edges of the dumpling to seal in the filling. Place your banana wonton onto the tray.
11. Repeat the process until all of the dumplings are made and on the tray. If you are using butter, brush each wonton with a little butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture. If you are using pan spray, spray the wontons and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
12. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the banana wontons turn a nice light golden color. Remove from the oven a serve.
Serve your banana wontons with caramel or chocolate sauce, whipped cream or ice cream, or your favorite toppings.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out the ingredients
Cutting some of the bananas
Making the cinnamon sugar mixture
Adding the ingredients to the mixing bowl
Mixing the filling
Filling and folding the dumplings
Older helpers can help by:
Making the recipe by themselves