But you have made meatballs before. I know that I have a few recipes for meatballs, but this recipe is for Italian meatballs. You know the kind of meatballs that you would eat for Sunday dinner, that you would serve over pasta, or that you would make into a sub, or use as a topping for pizza. It is what you add to these meatballs and how you cook them that makes them different. I know that it is easy to buy meatballs, but these will taste so much better than store bought that you and your guests will not be disappointed.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe, you will need measuring cups and spoons, a large bowl, a medium size scoop, a crockpot or oven.
Make your recipe your own by using different meats, cheeses, or spices.
If you would like to make vegetarian meatballs, I have just the recipe http://www.chefella.com/chefellassecretrecipes/2017/6/5/6517-chefellas-italian-vegeta-balls
If you are not allowed to use a crockpot or oven by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Slow Cooked Italian Meatballs (12-14 golf ball sized meatballs)
16-20 oz. Ground Turkey, Beef, Pork, or Veal
-For a traditional meat blend, you can use ½ lb. beef & ¼ lb. each of veal & pork.
½ Cup Panko Breadcrumbs
½ Cup Milk or Milk Alternative
½ Cup Parmesan Cheese, Grated
1 ea. Egg, Large, Beaten
1 Tbl. Parsley Flakes or Fresh Parsley, Minced
1 tsp Oregano Leaves, Dried
½ tsp Garlic, Granulated
24 oz. Marinara or Red Sauce
-If you would like to make your own sauce you can use one of my favorite recipes. http://www.chefella.com/chefellassecretrecipes/2015/9/16/91615-chefellas-cheesy-meatball-lasagna
3. Place the breadcrumbs, parmesan, parsley, oregano, and garlic into a large bowl and mix well. Add the milk and egg to the bowl and mix well. Add the ground meat to the bowl and mix well until all of the ingredients are incorporated into the meat.
4. Pour enough Marinara into the crockpot to cover the bottom of the crock, and turn the crockpot to high heat.
5. Using your medium scoop, scoop the meatball mixture and place into the bottom of the crock. If you are making the meatballs by hand, wet your hands to keep the meat from sticking to them and scoop enough meat to make a meatball the size of a golf ball. Roll the meatball between your hands to shape and place into the crockpot. (you can make your meatballs smaller if you would like)
6. When you have formed all of your meatballs and placed them into your crockpot, cover the meatballs with the remaining sauce, cover the crock with a lid, and cook for 3 hours.
7. When you are done remove the meatballs and sauce from the crockpot and serve.
8. (OVEN DIRECTIONS) To cook your meatballs in the oven. Preheat to 425F. Spray baking sheet with pan spray. Place meatballs on a baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes. Turn meatballs over and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until meatballs reach an internal temperature of 165F. If you would like you can then simmer your meatballs in sauce covered on the stove for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
Serve your meatballs by themselves as an appetizer, serve over pasta, or freeze for later.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out the ingredients
Adding the ingredients to the mixing bowl
Mixing and forming the meatballs.
Older helpers can help by:
Making the recipe by themselves