Did you know there are three general kinds of Curry? Indian curries from the continent of India. Asian curries that can be found in Southeast Asia, and Stephen Curry who can be found cooking with his wife. While many people are familiar with the term curry, and may have tried Indian curry before, Asian and Indian curries taste very different. I like Indian curries, but I love Asian curry, and wanted to share a simple introductory recipe with you. If you are feeling adventurous, and want to visit an Asian market you could even look up a recipe to make your own Thai Red Curry Paste.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need a knife and cutting board, a crock pot, a whisk, a fine box grater or zester, a small sauté pan, and the stove.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, crock pot or the stove by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Thai Red Curry Pork (6-8 Servings)
2-3 lbs. Pork Shoulder, Boneless, or Turkey Thigh, Bone-In
1 Can Coconut Milk, Light (13.5 oz.)
2 Tbl. Thai Red Curry Paste (You can find this in the Asian Foods section of the store.)
¾ Cup Chicken Broth
3 Tbl. Corn or Potato Starch
2 tsp. Salt, Kosher or Sea
2 tsp Garlic, Minced (about 2 cloves)
1 ea. Lemongrass Stalk (You can find them in the herb section of your grocery store, about ¼ oz)
2 Cans Water Chestnuts, Diced, Drained (two 8 oz. cans)
1 lb. Yukon Gold Potatoes, Medium Dice
1 ea. Lime, Fresh
-If you can find Kafir lime leaf you can use a couple leaves in your recipe instead of lime juice. Just cook the leaves in the recipe and remove as you will with the lemongrass.
8oz. Red Onion, Medium Diced
1 ea. Green Bell Pepper, Julienne
6 oz. Snow or Sugar Snap Pea Pods, Cut in Half
Garnish Chopped Peanuts or Cashews
2 Cups Jasmine Rice
3. To your crock pot bowl, add the light coconut milk, Thai red curry paste, chicken broth, salt, and the corn starch. Mix well to incorporate the corn starch into the liquid.
4. Zest your lime (Zesting is when you remove the colorful skin from a citrus fruit). Gently rub the skin of the lime against the fine box grater. The colorful skin will come off of your lime as you zest it. When you see the white of the lime skin stop zesting, and turn the lime to get more of the colorful skin off. Repeat the process until the all of the green is off of the lime. Scrape up the lime zest, put in a small bowl, cover, and save in the refrigerator for later.
5. Cut the lime in half and squeeze the juice from one half of the lime into your crock pot.
6. Place your lemongrass stem on your cutting board. Cut off any dead or brown parts. Using a kitchen mallet or the back (spine) of your knife lightly smash the lemongrass. It should crack and flatten but not get smashed into pieces. Put your lemongrass into your crock pot.
7. Add your Yukon gold potatoes to the crock pot and mix well. Add the turkey breasts or pork shoulder to the crock pot. Push the meat down into the liquid.
8. Cover your crock pot and cook on high for 1 hour and then turn to low and cook for another 5 hours.
9. Remove the pork shoulder from the crock pot and let cool for 15-20 minutes.
10. Shred the pork shoulder. You can smash the meat and pull it apart with your fingers or pull the meat apart using two forks. Add the shredded meat back to the crock pot. If you are using turkey, remove the skin and meat from the bones and shred the turkey meat. Discard the skin and bones.
11. Remove the lemongrass and throw away.
12. When there is one hour left to cook the pork prepare the rice following the manufacturer’s instructions.
13. While the pork is cooking prepare your red onion, green pepper, and snow pea pods.
14. When you are ready to serve dinner. Heat your sauté pan on medium heat on the stove. Add 1 Tbl. vegetable oil to the pan and cook your red onions, green peppers, and snow pea pods for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
15. Add the vegetables and lime zest to the crock pot and fold into the rest of your ingredients.
16. Serve your Thai Red Curry Pork over your rice.
To make your own favorite recipe try green curry instead of red, tofu, tempeh, fish, or spicy ground pork instead of Turkey or Pork Shoulder (the cooking time will be much different), and your favorite vegetables.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out the ingredients
Adding the ingredients to the crock pot
Older helpers can help by:
Preparing / cutting the ingredients
Cooking the vegetables and the rice