In the United States we generally think of ramen as cheap and unhealthy plastic packages, but real ramen is full of hearty flavors and fresh ingredients. While making a real ramen may take too much time for most of us, we can still have that great ramen flavor. That is what inspired me to make my Ramen Frittata. All of the goodness of a ramen bowl without all of the time. And just like the real Ramen it is good for any meal.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a large spoon or rubber spatula, a medium bowl, a 9-10 inch oven proof sauté pan, a knife and cutting board, a sauce pot and strainer, the stove and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, the stove or oven by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Ramen Frittata (8-10 Pieces)
1 lb. Bacon, Thick Cut
-If you do not like bacon you can substitute smoked pork belly, Asian sausage, shredded smoked turkey, Turkey bacon, or grilled vegetable planks rubbed with smoked paprika.
8 ea. Eggs
2 pkg. Ramen Noodles, Chicken Flavor (3 oz. packages)
3.5 oz. Shiitake Mushrooms, Thin Sliced (remove stems and slice)
½ Cup Green Onions, Sliced Thin (1 Bunch)
-Start by slicing the white end of the green onions. When you have your ½ cup set it aside. Slice the remainder of the green onions to garnish the finished Ramen Frittata.
1 Tbl. Garlic, Minced (about 3 cloves)
2 tsp Ginger, Minced
1 tsp Chili Garlic Sauce, Sambal Sauce, Tabasco, or your favorite hot sauce
2 Tbl. Vegetable Oil
3. Pre-heat oven to 350F. Turn your stove to medium high heat. Add bacon to the pan and cook on one side for 2-3 minutes or until bacon just begins to crisp. Flip bacon over and cook on the other side for 2-3 minutes or until bacon just begins to crisp. Remove the bacon from the pan and save for later. Repeat the process until all of the bacon is cooked.
4. Clean your sauté pan and return to the heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the pan. When the oil is hot, add the shiitake mushrooms, and mix well to coat with oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally. Turn the heat to medium and add the garlic, ginger, and ½ cup of sliced green onions to the pan and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring frequently so that the garlic and ginger do not stick to the pan or burn. After cooking scrape all your vegetables into your mixing bowl and save for later. Wash and dry your sauté pan.
5. Add 4 cups of water to your sauce pan and bring to a boil. While the water is coming to a boil. Add your hot sauce and the spice packets from your ramen noodles to the vegetables in your mixing bowl and mix well. Set aside for later.
6. Spread 1 tablespoon of oil into the bottom and sides of your sauté pan. If you do not have an oven safe sauté pan you can use a 9 - 10 inch baking pan. Spread the bacon evenly over the bottom of your sauté pan. If you have enough bacon to cover the sides of the pan place the bacon up the sides of the pan.
7. Add your ramen noodles to the boiling water and cook for 3 minutes stirring occasionally to break the noodles apart. After 3 minutes strain the water from the noodles. Add the hot noodles to you mixing bowl and mix well with the vegetables and spices.
8. Remove the noodles from the bowl and spread evenly across the bottom of the sauté pan.
9. Add the eggs to your mixing bowl and mix well with the vegetables and spices.
10. Pour the egg and vegetable mixture evenly over the noodles into your sauté pan. Add a few green onions to the top of the frittata.
11. Place your pan in the oven and bake for 35-45 minutes. After 35 minutes check on the frittata. Insert a sharp knife or toothpick into the middle of the frittata. If the knife comes out clean and the middle has set (is not liquid or soft) remove the frittata from the oven. If not cook for another 5 minutes and check again.
12. When finished let the cooked frittata sit for 10 minutes. Run a knife or rubber spatula along the edges of the frittata to make sure it is not stuck to the sides of the pan. If the frittata is sticking keep gently running the spatula round the pan and begin to work the spatula under the frittata until I becomes free. Garnish your Ramen Frittata with fresh green onions.
You can serve your Ramen Frittata for breakfast, brunch, lunch or even dinner. Top your Ramen Frittata with spicy mayonnaise, serve with an avocado salad, grilled meats, fresh fruit or vegetables. You can also make your own Ramen Frittata by picking your favorite meats, vegetables, or ramen flavors.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Adding the ingredients to the bowl
Mixing the ingredients
Placing the cooked bacon in the bottom of the pan
Cracking the eggs
And of course decorating the cheesecake
Older helpers can help by:
Cooking the bacon, ramen, and building the Ramen Frittata