It is Easter time and many of you will be making something you will only make once a year. HAM. You may eat it on a sandwich, cook it in your eggs, you may even put some on your salad, but you never cook one for yourself. Well never fear ChefElla is here to help. This year instead of making the same old dried out ham and mashed potatoes, try my balsamic glazed ham with roasted vegetables. You can still serve your ham with all of your holiday favorites, but this year try one of my favorite recipes for your ham.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a small mixing bowl, a large mixing bowl, a whisk, a roasting pan, a disposable oven bag, a knife and a cutting board.
If you are not allowed to use the oven, or a knife by yourself you can ask a grown up help.
ChefElla's Balsamic Glazed Ham with Roasted Vegetables (8-10 servings.)
5 Lb. Smoked Ham, Fully Cooked (Bone-In, Bone-Out or Spiral Cut)
¼ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
½ Cup Honey
½ Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tbl. Yellow Mustard
1 tsp. Salt, Kosher or Sea
½ lb. Baby Carrots, Cut in 1/2 inch rounds
½ lb. Fingerling Potatoes, Cut into 1/2 inch pieces
½ lb. Brussel Sprouts, Cut in Half
-Cut off the root end. If the sprouts are large cut in half, if small leave them whole.
½ lb. Parsnips
-Peel and cut in half lengthwise. Cut parsnips into 1/2 inch 1/2 moon pieces.
½ lb. Pearl Onions
3. Pre-heat oven to 325F.
4. In a small bowl mix balsamic vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, salt and honey.
5. Unwrap your ham and remove any netting, plastic and extra fat if necessary.
6. Put ham in your large bowl and rub the whole ham with some of the liquid mix.
7. Put cooking bag in your roasting pan, and put ham in the bag.
8. Prepare vegetables. Put vegetables in the large mixing bowl and pour remaining liquid mixture over the vegetables and mix well.
9. Add vegetables and liquid to the bag. Close bag and put in the oven.
10. *Bone-In Ham bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until vegetables are soft.
*Bone-Out Ham bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables are soft.
11. Remove ham from oven, open the bag, and let ham sit for 20 minutes before cutting.
Happy spring and enjoy your dinner with your family and friends.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out the ingredients
Cleaning the vegetables
Mixing the sauce and vegetables
Older helpers can help by:
Cutting the vegetables
Placing everything in the bag