It’s been warming up, and I could not wait to get outside and grill to make my favorite Fennel Chicken and Roasted Vegetable Pasta. I know that fennel can seem a little foreign but when cooked it add such a savory flavor to your dinner you will wish you made more. For my recipe I picked some of my favorite vegetables, but you can pick your favorite vegetables for your recipe. If you would like something other than chicken for dinner try my recipe with pork chops, lamb, or even tofu if you like.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a baking sheet, a large bowl, a knife and cutting board, a blender, the stove, the grill and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, blender, oven, stove or grill by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Fennel Chicken and Roasted Vegetable Pasta (about 4-6 servings)
Fennel Chicken Marinade
14-16 oz. Chicken Breast or Tenders, Boneless, Skinnless
¼ Cup Olive Oil
¼ Cup Flat Leaf Parsley Leaves (Italian Parsley)
¼ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1/8 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Fennel Seeds
1 tsp Garlic, Minced (about 1 clove)
3 Tbl. Fennel Fronds (The leafy top of the fennel bulb that looks like dill)
1 ea. Red Onion, Medium Diced (about 1 large onion or about 2 cups diced)
8 oz. Crimini Mushrooms, Medium Diced (remove stems, cut into 4-6 pieces)
1 ea. Green Pepper, Medium Diced (1 medium pepper)
3 ea. Roma Tomatoes, Medium Diced (3 large Roma tomatoes)
1 ea. Fennel Bulb, Medium Diced
-Cut off the green stems of the bulb (save the fronds for the chicken marinade). Slice the bulb in half with the root end down. Cut out the root from each half. Lay the fennel bulb on its flat side. Cut the bulb into strips. Cut the strips into medium diced cubes.
¼ Cup Parsley Leaves, Minced
¼ Cup Olive Oil
1 tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbl Garlic, Minced (about 3 cloves)
8 oz. Bow Tie (Farfalle) Pasta about ½ box (you can use radiatori, mini bow tie or your favorite pasta)
Feta or Parmesan Cheese to garnish.
Optional: You can change any of my suggested vegetables to any of your favorites. Yellow or green squash, asparagus, eggplant or artichoke hearts are all great substitutes.
3. For the marinated chicken, place all of the marinade ingredients except the chicken into your blender. Blend the mixture until the fennel seeds are broken up and the sauce is green in color.
4. Place the chicken breasts and the marinade into a sealable bag or container and mix well so the marinade coats the chicken. Let the chicken sit for at least 30 minutes before grilling.
5. Preheat oven to 400F.
6. Prep all of your roasted vegetables and put into your large bowl. Add the salt, pepper, minced parsley, minced garlic and oil to the bowl and mix well.
7. Spread the vegetables out evenly over your baking sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 35-40 minutes until the vegetables are soft and begin to brown. After the vegetables have been cooking for 20 minutes start your grill and heat to medium. (If you do not have a grill you can bake the chicken in the oven with the vegetables. Check for doneness after 25 minutes. Chicken should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F).
8. When the vegetables are almost done, cook your pasta by following the manufacturer’s directions. Drain the pasta and mix immediately in a large bowl with the roasted vegetables.
9. Place your chicken on the grill, but not directly over the flame. If you do the oil in the marinade will cause the chicken to burn. Depending on the thickness of your chicken cook for 3-4 minutes on one side or until the edges begin to turn white. Flip the chicken over and grill for another 3-4 minutes.
10. Let the chicken rest after cooking for at least 5 minutes. Dice chicken into bite sized pieces and mix into the pasta and roasted vegetables.
Top your pasta with feta or Parmesan cheese. This is a great dish to eat cold for lunch the next day.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Cleaning your vegetables
Mixing the vegetable and seasonings
Spreading the vegetables on the baking sheet
Putting ingredients into the blender and running the blender
Older helpers can help by:
Preparing the vegetables
Mixing the chicken and marinade
Cooking the pasta
Cutting the vegetables