Chinese take out tastes great and is fun to get on a weekend night, but why not have fun on a weeknight by making your own. My Sichuan Garlic Chicken and Broccoli is easy to make and if you serve it in a white paper carryout box your friends or family might even think you picked it up for them…well not really, but it still tastes great, so give it a try tonight.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a large and a small sauté pan, a medium bowl, a heatproof rubber spatula, a knife and cutting board, and the stove.
If you are not allowed to use a knife and stove by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Sichuan Garlic Chicken And Broccoli (4-6 servings)
Garlic Sichuan Sauce
1 Cup Chicken Broth or Stock
4 Tbl. Brown Sugar
3 Tbl. Chili Garlic Sauce (You can find it in the Asian foods aisle in the grocery store)
-If you do not like spicy foods use ½ the amount of chili sauce.
3 Tbl. Soy Sauce (Low Sodium is best)
1 Tbl. Sesame Oil
1 Tbl. Cold Water
2 tsp Cornstarch
14-16 oz. Chicken Breast, Raw, Sliced or Medium Diced
12 oz. Broccoli, Fresh, Bite Sized Pieces (I purchased a steam in the bag variety)
1 can Water chestnuts, Sliced or Diced (8 oz. drained)
2 Tbl Cornstarch
1 ea Egg
1 Tbl. Vegetable Oil
3. In your small sauté pan add chicken broth, brown sugar, chili sauce, and soy sauce and mix well. Bring to a simmer. In a small cup mix cold water and cornstarch. Add cornstarch into the sauce and mix well. Bring sauce to a boil and remove from the heat. Add sesame oil and mix well. Set sauce aside for later.
4. In a small bowl whisk the egg with a fork. Add the cornstarch and mix well. Add the chicken to the bowl and mix well to coat with egg mixture.
5. Cook broccoli in a steam bag following instructions. If you did not buy broccoli in a steam bag, place cut broccoli in a microwave safe bowl. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Remove from the microwave and uncover.
6. Heat large pan on medium heat. Add vegetable oil. Add chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
7. Turn pan to low and add the broccoli, water chestnuts and sauce, and mix well.
8. Serve with rice or noodles.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Older helpers can help by:
Making the sauce
Making the stir fry