Whether you call it a casserole, hot dish or a bake, it is that time of year when something hot out of the oven just hits the spot. There are so many recipes to choose from, cheesy broccoli, tater tot hot dish, tuna noodle casserole, or even chicken a la king are great choices, but for me there is nothing like my Spanish Rice with Chicken. This dish is so full of flavor and you can easily make it your own by adding your favorite ingredients and topping it just how you like it.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need a measuring cups and spoons, a heat proof rubber spatula or wooden spoon, a knife and cutting board, a 9X13 casserole dish, a sauté pan, a small bowl, the stove and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, the stove or the oven by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
If would like you can substitute pork, dark meat chicken, ham or smoked sausage for chicken breast.
Top your Spanish Chicken and Rice with guacamole, shredded cheese, cheese sauce, sour cream, fresh salsa or your favorite toppings.
ChefElla’s Spanish Rice and Chicken (4-6 Servings)
16 oz. Chicken Breast
1 Cup Yellow Onion, Small Dice (About 1 small onion)
1 Cup Green Pepper, Small Dice (About 1 medium pepper)
4 oz. Pimento Peppers, Diced (1 small jar, you can find it in the pickle section of the store)
2 Cups Roma Tomatoes, Small Dice (About 2 large Roma Tomatoes)
-If you do not want to cut up tomatoes, you can use 1 – 15 oz. can petit diced tomatoes.
1 ½ Cup Jasmine or Basmati Rice (I used brown jasmine rice for my dish)
1 Tbl Garlic, Minced (about 3 cloves or 1 tsp granulated garlic)
2 ½ Cups Chicken Stock, No Salt
1 ½ tsp Oregano Leaves, Dried
1 ½ tsp Smoked Paprika
1 ½ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
2 Tbl. Olive Oil
2 tsp Flour, A.P. or Gluten Free Flour
3. Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
4. Prepare your vegetables. In your small bowl mix your chicken, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, sprinkle the chicken with a little salt and pepper and flour, and mix well.
5. Heat your sauté pan on the stove on medium heat. When the pan is hot add your chicken to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until the chicken begins to brown. Remove the chicken from the pan and place on to a plate for later.
6. Add one tablespoon of oil to your sauté pan and add your onions and peppers. Cook the onions and peppers for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the garlic, tomatoes, salt, oregano, and smoked paprika and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring occasionally.
7. Remove your vegetables from the heat and add to your casserole dish. Add rice, chicken stock, and pimento peppers to your casserole dish.
8. Cut up the chicken into bite sized pieces. Add the chicken to your casserole dish and mix well.
9. Cover the casserole dish with foil and place into the oven. Cook for 1-1 ½ hours or until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.
10. Remove from the oven.
Serve your Spanish Rice and Chicken with black beans, roasted vegetables, or with a nice salad.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Adding the ingredients to the casserole dish
Older helpers can help by:
Preparing the vegetables
Cooking the vegetables
Adding the ingredients to the dish and baking the rice