I know you have eaten pizza. And I am sure your go-to pizzas are just like my go-to pizzas, pepperoni, sausage, cheese, margarita and every once in a while you might get some vegetables on your pizza. I think it is time to spice up your dinner with my Spinach Jalapeno Dip Pizza. I know it sounds a little weird but it is so good. And If you don’t have time to make the spinach jalapeno dip yourself you can buy some at the store, and if you don’t like spicy you can substitute spinach artichoke dip.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a knife and cutting board, a medium bowl, a heat proof rubber spatula or wooden spoon, a sauté pan, the stove and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, oven or the stove by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Spinach Jalapeno Dip Pizza (1 Large Pizza or 2 Small Pizzas)
Spinach Jalapeno Dip
2 Cups Spinach, Fresh, Chopped (Measure 2cups whole leaves before chopping)
1 ea. Jalapeno, Minced (about 1 small jalapeno, 1/8 cup minced)
1 tsp Garlic, Minced (about 1 large clove)
4 oz. Cream Cheese, Regular or Light
1/8 tsp Tabasco, Sauce ( ½ of a ¼ teaspoon) or your favorite hot sauce
1/8 tsp Black Pepper ( ½ of a ¼ teaspoon)
1 ½ Cups Monterey Jack Cheese
2 Tbl. Olive Oil
1 ea Roma Tomatoes, Sliced Thin (about 1 small Roma tomato)
½ Cup Bacon, Thin Sliced (about 5 slices of bacon) I used turkey bacon for my recipe
1 ½ Cups Brussel Sprouts, Shredded or Broccoli Rabe cut into thirds
1 ea. Pizza Crust, Thin, Large or 2 Small
3. Pre-heat your oven to 400F. Place one of the oven racks in the middle of the oven. Remove your cream cheese from the refrigerator and let it sit out until you are ready to make your spinach jalapeno dip.
4. Chop your spinach. Cut off the stem end of the jalapeno and then cut in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and the white ribs of the jalapeno. Cut each half of the jalapeno into thin strips and then cut the thin strips into little pieces.
5. Prepare your Brussel sprouts by cutting off the root end. Lay the Brussel sprout on the flat side and then thin slice into half-moons. This will be shredded, or you can buy shredded Brussel sprouts. Prepare your bacon.
6. Heat your sauté pan on the stove on medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, minced jalapeno, and garlic to the pan and mix well. Cook for 1-2 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the spinach to the pan, and mix well to coat with oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes stirring frequently to cook the spinach thoroughly.
7. Place the spinach mixture on a plate and let cool.
8. Place the sauté pan back on the stove and turn the heat to medium high. Add the bacon and cook for 1-2 minutes stirring frequently. Add the Brussel sprouts to the pan and 1 tablespoon of oil and mix well. Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes stirring frequently to keep the Brussel sprouts from burning. Place the bacon and Brussel sprouts on a plate to cool. If you used real bacon you will want to drain off the extra fat left over from cooking.
9. To make the spinach jalapeno dip add the cream cheese, ½ cup Monterey jack cheese, Tabasco, pepper, and the spinach mixture to your medium bowl. Using your rubber spatula or spoon mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated together. This is a great dip to eat as an appetizer with chips, crackers, or toasty bread. The recipe is easy to double for a party or if you are making multiple pizzas.
10. To assemble your pizza, spread the spinach jalapeno dip evenly over the pizza crust. Top with sliced tomatoes, and your Brussel sprout and bacon mixture. Top with 1 cup of Monterey Jack cheese.
11. Place the pizza on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 10 -12 minutes.
12. Remove the pizza from the oven, cut and enjoy.
If you do not like the toppings that I chose for my pizza you can use your favorite toppings. Instead of making this recipe into pizza you could also make French bread pizza, crostini’s, calzones, stuffed croissants, or filo triangles.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out the ingredients
Mixing the spinach jalapeno dip
Building the pizza
Older helpers can help by:
Helping to prepare the ingredients
Cooking the ingredients with some guidance