Fall is a great time of year to learn about food. Apple orchards, corn and pumpkin fields, and farmer’s markets are full of fresh fruits and vegetables, and because it is fall it is not as hot. People think of so many creative ways to use fall vegetable and you can see them on display. Apple butter, Elote (Mexican Street Corn), pies, cakes, breads, canned sauces, and cured meats give you a lot of new ideas to try in your kitchen. After going to an apple orchard I wanted to do something fun with the apples I bought so I made Baked Apple Fillo Triangles.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a knife and cutting board, a medium bowl, a heat proof rubber spatula or wooden spoon, a pastry brush, a baking sheet, a small sauté pan, the stove and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, oven or the stove by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Baked Apple Fillo Triangles (14 Large or 24 Small)
2 ea. Apples, Medium, Small Diced (about 3 cups) I used Fuji apples for my recipe.
½ Cup Pecans, Chopped, you can use your favorite nut or seed.
2 Tbl. Red Wine or Concord Grape Juice
1 Tbl. Corn Starch
1 Tbl. Brown Sugar
1 tsp Honey
½ tsp Cinnamon
1 pkg. Fillo Dough, thawed in the refrigerator overnight, or on the counter for a few hours
-Fillo dough from the store usually comes with 2 packages. You will only need one.
1 ea. Pan Spray, Butter flavor if you have it
2 Tbl. Butter
1 Tbl. Brown Sugar
1 Tbl. Honey
Optional: Caramel Sauce, homemade or store bought
3. Pre-heat your oven to 350F. Place one of the oven racks in the middle of the oven. Remove your Fillo dough from the refrigerator and let it sit out until you are ready to make your triangles.
4. In your medium bowl mix your red wine, honey, and brown sugar. Dice your apples and mix them with the ingredients in your bowl. Add the pecans to the bowl and sprinkle the cinnamon and corn starch over the ingredients in the bowl. Mix well until the cornstarch and cinnamon are incorporated into the other ingredients.
5. Clean your counter with soap and water and dry well. Dampen a dish towel or paper towel.
6. Open your fillo dough and lay it flat on the counter. Cover with your damp cloth to keep the filo from drying out.
7. Place one sheet of fillo on the counter with one of the short sides is facing you. Spray the sheet with pan spray. Lay another sheet of fillo on top of the first and spray with pan spray. Lay a third sheet of fillo on top of the other two.
8. If you want larger fillo triangles cut the fillo in half the long way. If you want smaller fillo triangles cut the fillo into thirds (three strips) the long way.
9. To assemble your triangles, scoop about two tablespoons of the apple mixture onto the end of the fillo closest to you. Taking the right corner of the fillo, fold it toward the left side of the fillo creating a triangle. You will need to use your fingers to keep the filling inside. Fold the fillo up creating another triangle. Then fold the fillo to the right to make another triangle. Repeat the process until you get to the end. You will have a little flap of fillo left at the end. Spray with pan spray and fold onto your triangle.
10. Spray your baking sheet with pan spray and place the apple triangles onto the baking sheet. Repeat the process until all of your filling is gone.
11. To bake your apple triangles, spray them all liberally with pan spray and place in the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the triangles are a nice golden color.
12. While the borekas are baking you will need to make your borekas topping. Place your sauté pan on the stove on medium low. Add your honey, sugar, and butter to the pan. Mix the ingredients together as they melt. When the ingredients are melted turn the heat to low.
13. When your Apple Fillo Triangles are done remove them from the oven and place them on a plate or rack to cool.
14. Brush the tops of the apple triangles with the topping while they are still hot.
If you do not like the fillings that I chose for my Apple Fillo Triangles you can choose your favorite fillings. Peaches, figs, plums, pears, bananas and chocolate, or your favorite fruits, nuts or juice will also work.
You can also make this recipe with savory ingredients like spinach or kale with chicken and feta cheese.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out the ingredients
Mixing the apple filling
Folding the triangles
Older helpers can help by:
Helping to prepare the ingredients
Cooking the ingredients with some guidance