I am not Hawaiian, but last year I was at a Hawaiian dinner and I was impressed with how fresh the food tasted. I will admit that I am more than a little skeptical about their broad use of Spam. While Spam may seem a little old fashioned and the butt of many jokes, it is a part of the Hawaiian culture. For this recipe you can substitute other ground meats, but if you like ham you might want to try this recipe with Spam and get in touch with your Hawaiian side. If Spam cakes are just not your thing, skip it and make the fried rice. It is a wonderful addition to any meal.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a wooden spoon, a knife and cutting board, a large scooper, a food processor, a large sauté pan, the stove, a cookie sheet and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, the oven, stove, or food processor by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Hawaiian Fried Rice with Spam Cakes (4-6 servings)
24 oz. Spam (2 – 12 oz. Cans, I used the original but you could use Turkey or Low Sodium)
¼ Cup Green Onion, The White Part, Thin Sliced (About 6 thin pieces)
-Reserve the green part of the onion for later.
1 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
2 ea. Egg, Large
¾ Cup BBQ Sauce (Hawaiian Style, Honey BBQ, or your favorite kind)
1 tsp Garlic, Fresh (1 large clove)
Hawaiian Fried Rice
4 Cups Jasmine or Basmati Rice, Cooked
-For fried rice, it is best to cook the rice the day before, and let it cool uncovered in the refrigerator overnight so that it is a little dried out. If you are not able to make your rice ahead of time it is ok to make when you need it. Your fried rice will taste great anyway. You can use pre-cooked rice in the pouch for this recipe also.
1 Cup Pineapple Pieces, Plus 4 Tbl. reserved pineapple juice
-Canned Pineapple in water or juice is ok for this recipe.
¼ Cup Green Onion, The Green Part, Sliced Thin
½ Cup Carrot, Shredded
4 Tbl. Teriyaki Glaze or Sauce (Do not use the teriyaki marinade with the water like consistency)
2 Tbl. Soy Sauce
½ tsp Garlic, Fresh, Minced
2 Tbl. Vegetable Oil
½ tsp Black Pepper
3. Preheat your oven to 400F.
4. Cut your spam into chunks and place in the food processor. Add all of the remaining ingredients. Pulse the food processor until all of the ingredients are mixed well and there are no large chunks of Spam. Small pieces the size of a corn kernel are ok. *If you are using ground meat for your recipe simply mix all of the ingredients in a large bowl. You will not need a food processor.
5. Line your cookie sheet with aluminum foil. Using your scooper scoop the Spam cakes onto your pan. About 4 tablespoons per scoop. Bake the Spam cakes in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until they have a golden color.
6. When the Spam cakes have 15 minutes left to cook heat your sauté pan on the stove on medium high heat.
7. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and the carrots to the pan and cook stirring frequently for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic to the pan and mix well. Add the rice to the pan and mix well with the carrots to coat the rice with the oil. Turn the heat to medium and stir occasionally to let the rice begin to brown a little and heat up. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
8. Add the soy sauce and teriyaki glaze to the pan and mix well.
9. Push all of the rice to one side of you pan and add 1 table spoon of oil to the empty side of the pan. Crack your eggs into a bowl, do not mix, and pour into the side of the pan with the oil. Scramble the eggs quickly in the pan.
10. Mix the rice and cooked egg together and cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add your pineapple, green onions, and pineapple juice to the pan and mix well. Turn off the heat.
11. Top your spam cakes with a little more BBQ sauce and serve with your fried rice.
You can add or substitute different ingredients to your Hawaiian Fried Rice with Spam Cakes. Try adding different vegetable to your fried rice or different meats or sauces for your Spam Cakes.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Adding the ingredients to the food processor
Mixing the dry and wet ingredients
Scooping and shaping the Spam Cakes
Older helpers can help by:
Cutting the vegetables
Setting the oven temperature and timer
Sautéing the fried rice