The other day I saw that a big company will be making vegetable tots. I love the idea, and while it would be easy enough to buy some at the store, I would rather decide for myself what I put in my food and how I cook it. My Cheesy Cauliflower Tots are easy to make and fun to eat. While they may not be as pretty as the food company’s tots, they are baked not fried, and I can flavor them however I want.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a wooden spoon, a large bowl, a knife and cutting board, a small scooper, a food processor with a shredding disk or hand grater, a pancake turner, a cookie sheet and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, the oven, or food processor by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Cheesy Cauliflower Tots (about 3 dozen)
1.5 – 1.75 lbs. Cauliflower, Fresh (1 head)
¼ Cup White Onion, Rough Chopped
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded (or your favorite cheese)
3 Tbl. Gluten Free or All Purpose Flour
1 ea. Egg, Large
1 Tbl Parsley, Chopped (Dried or Fresh)
1 tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
½ tsp Black Pepper
3. Preheat your oven to 425F.
4. Cut the leaves and any black or brown parts off of your head of cauliflower. Cut the cauliflower (stem and florets) into pieces that will fit through the pusher opening in your food processor bowl lid. Using the small shredding attachment shred all of your cauliflower and your onion using the food processor.
5. In your large bowl mix all of the remaining ingredients.
6. Add your shredded cauliflower and onion to your other ingredients and mix thoroughly.
7. Spray your cookie sheet with pan spray or line with parchment paper. Scoop your cauliflower batter into the palm of your hand. Shape your cauliflower into a rectangular shape and roll from your palm onto the sheet pan. Repeat the process until all of your batter is gone. If you do not want to take the time to shape your tots simply scoop your cauliflower batter onto the cookie sheet. They will not be in a tot shape but they will still taste just as good. If you do not have a scooper, simply scoop the batter using a tablespoon.
8. Bake your tots for 30-40 minutes or until they are a nice golden brown color.
You can add or substitute different ingredients to your Cheesy Cauliflower Tots. Try Swiss, sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, or fontina cheese. Add crispy bacon, herbs, other spices, or even some different vegetables to make your own favorite recipe.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Adding the ingredients to the food processor
Mixing the dry and wet ingredients
Scooping and shaping the tots
Older helpers can help by:
Cutting the vegetables
Setting the oven temperature and timer