I know that fried chicken and waffles are everywhere. Chicken and waffles flavored potato chips, sandwiches, appetizers, chicken strips coated in waffle crumbs, and even a pair of sneakers painted to look like chicken and waffles. Now, before you just move on to the next recipe, just give this one a try. No fryer needed just some chicken tenders, waffle batter, and your waffle maker. Serve this as a fun breakfast, dinner or snack, and if you would be embarrassed making a trendy food just tell your friends you had a kale salad instead.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a 2 medium bowls, 1 large bowl, a kitchen mallet or large metal spoon, a whisk and a waffle iron.
If you are not allowed to use a waffle iron by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Chicken and Waffles Tenders (4 -6 Servings)
14-16 oz. Chicken Tenders, or Chicken Breast Cut into Tenders (1 package)
1 ea. Large Egg
¾ Cup Buttermilk
½ Cup Maple Syrup
¼ Cup Butter (4 Tbl.)
1 ¼ Cup A.P. Flour
1 Tbl Baking Powder
¼ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
¼ tsp Paprika
¼ tsp Black Pepper
¼ tsp Thyme, Fresh or Dried
¼ tsp Garlic Powder
1 can Pan Spray
3. In a medium bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt, paprika, black pepper, thyme and garlic, and mix with a whisk or fork until all of the ingredients are mixed well.
4. Place your butter in a microwaveable cup or small bowl and heat for 25-30 seconds or until the butter is melted.
5. In your large bowl mix the buttermilk, melted butter, egg and maple syrup using your whisk or a fork until all of the ingredients are mixed well.
6. Cover a cutting board or your countertop with plastic wrap. Spread out the chicken tenders on the plastic wrap. Cover the chicken tenders with another piece of plastic wrap.
7. Using your mallet or the back of a large metal spoon, gently pound your chicken strips to an even thickness. Do not hit the chicken too hard. If you do, you can split the chicken into pieces or mash the chicken into an unusable mess.
8. Take ¼ cup of your flour mixture and add it to your other medium bowl.
9. Pre-heat your waffle iron.
10. Mix the remaining flour into your liquid. Mix gently until all of the flour is incorporated into the wet ingredients. Try not to over mix or the waffle batter will be chewy. You want the waffle batter to have a thicker consistency like pudding. If it is too thin it will not stick to the chicken.
11. Take one of your chicken strips and mix it with the flour. Shake your flour coated chicken strip to remove any excess flour.
12. Spray the bottom of your waffle maker with pan spray. Dip your flour coated piece of chicken into the waffle batter and make sure the batter is covering the whole piece of chicken.
13. Lay the chicken on the waffle maker. Spray the top of the waffle maker with pan spray and close the top.
14. Larger pieces of chicken should take about 3 minutes to cook depending on the thickness and type of waffle maker. Thinner pieces of chicken should take around 2 ¾ minutes.
15. After 3 minutes open your waffle maker, loosen the Chicken and Waffle tender with a fork and place on a plate or rack. Be careful because the Chicken and Waffle tender will be hot. Check for doneness and adjust cook time accordingly.
Serve your Chicken and Waffles tenders with honey mustard, BBQ sauce, maple syrup, your favorite syrup, or any of your favorite topping.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Mixing the dry / wet ingredients and waffle batter
Older helpers can help by:
Pounding the chicken
Flouring and battering the chicken