Sloppy Joes taste so good, but there are two problems with them. First, they are too messy, and second they are so sweet. The reason Sloppy Joes are so sweet is the sauce is usually made from tomato paste and sugar. I agree that sugar tastes good, but I want a Sloppy Joe that tastes good, is good for me, and not full of sugar. After a few tests I came up with my own Sloppy Joe, and while I was able to make the Sloppy Joes less sugary, I could not make them less messy. So give my recipe a try and enjoy your Sloppy ChefElla's
For this recipe you will need to use a knife, the stove, and a blender or food processor. If you are not allowed to use a knife, stove or blender by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons, a large mixing bowl, a small knife or melon baller, a large sauté pan non-stick preferred, a heat proof rubber spatula or wooden spoon, and a strainer.
Sloppy ChefElla's (This recipe will make 4-6 sandwiches)
16 – 20 oz. Ground, Turkey, Beef, Chicken, Pork, or Veggie Crumbles
12 oz. Tomatoes, Pith or Stem Attachment Removed (about 3 medium sized tomatoes)
8oz. White Mushrooms, Sliced
2 tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp Worchestershire Sauce
2 Tbl Olive Oil
4 – 6 Hamburger Buns (Wheat, Onion, Sesame, Poppy, Pretzel, or your favorite bun)
3. Heat sauté pan over high heat.
4. Add ground meat to pan and mash and break up the meat as it cooks. When the meat is no longer pink it is done.
5. Put strainer over your large bowl and drain the meat in the strainer. Do not throw away the drippings (the liquid from the cooked meat).
6. Remove the pith or stem attachment from your tomatoes with your melon baller. Add the tomatoes to the blender and puree them.
7. Return the sauté pan to the stove and heat on medium high heat.
8. Add olive oil to the pan, add mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes and liquid from sautéed meat and simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Put tomato mixture into blender and add salt, onion and garlic powder, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Puree mixture until it is smooth.
9. Return meat and sauce to the sauté pan. Heat on medium high heat and bring to a simmer and cook stirring occasionally for 2 – 3 minutes. Remove your Sloppy ChefElla's from the stove and serve.
Your Sloppy ChefElla's will not be red but more of a pink color. This is because most Sloppy Joe's are made with ketchup (tomato paste and sugar) or tomato concentrate (tomato paste) and sugar. Serve your Sloppy ChefElla's on a bun with pickles, mustard, cheese or your favorite toppings. This recipe will also freeze and thaw well for another night when you are don't have time to cook.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out ingredients
Adding the ingredients to the blender
Older helpers can help by:
Cooking the meat
Cooking the sauce