Salads are good, but the best part of the salad is what we put on them. Great dressings, meats, seeds, cheeses, and of course croutons can make otherwise boring lettuce taste great. This week I just skipped the boring lettuce part, took my favorite salad toppings and made something fun, Chicken Avocado Caesar Toast. If Caesar is not your favorite, just substitute your favorite dressing, and add your favorite toppings and create your own fun recipe.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a medium bowl, a rubber spatula, a cookie sheet, a paring knife, a chef’s knife and cutting board, and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use a knife or the oven by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Chicken Avocado Caesar Toast (4 -6 Servings for Dinner or More as an Appetizer)
1 ea. French Bread, Small Loaf or ½ of a Large Loaf
8 oz. Grilled Chicken, Sliced
-This is a great use for leftover grilled chicken, or if you prefer you can buy grilled chicken at the store, or make your own grilled chicken at home like I did.
1 ea. Avocado, Ripe, Sliced Thin
-To slice an avocado. Place the avocado on your cutting board. Cut into your avocado length wise. There is a pit in the middle of the avocado so you will only be able to cut to the pit. Turn the avocado over and make the same cut on the other side of the avocado. Turn the avocado on its side and slice into the top and bottom so all of your cuts meet and your avocado is now cut into two halves. Twist off the top of the avocado. Using a spoon gently pry the pit out of the avocado. If your avocado is ripe the pit should come out easily.
Using your paring knife gently make thin slices through the avocado while it is still in the skin. Remove the flesh by scooping it out with a spoon. The avocado will now be sliced.
-There are other methods to removing a pit, but if you are not comfortable removing the pit with a chef’s knife then this is the safest way.
¼ Cup Mayonnaise
½ Cup Caesar Dressing
1 ¼ Cup Parmesan Cheese, Shredded
2 Tbl. White Onion, Small Dice, or Chopped Small
1 tsp Garlic Minced, (about 1 clove)
3. Place your oven rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 375F.
4. To you bowl add the mayonnaise, Caesar dressing, ¾ cup of the parmesan cheese, the white onion, black pepper, and garlic and mix with a fork until the ingredients are blended well.
5. Cut your French bread in half, length wise. Spread your dressing evenly over each half.
6. Spread sliced avocado over the bread evenly. Spread the chicken evenly over the avocado and then sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese evenly over each.
7. Place aluminum foil over your cookie sheet. Place the Caesar toasts on the cookie sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 12-15 minutes.
8. Remove the Caesar toasts from the oven. Cut into 4-6 even pieces and serve, or if you are serving as an appetizer cut the toast into smaller strips or squares.
Try different ingredients to make your Caesar toasts your own by using, salmon, shrimp, steak, bacon, or Heirloom tomato slices on your Caesar toasts. You can also try different ingredients to make your own favorite toasts. Try a Ruben toast, a Cobb Salad Toast, a BLT toast or any of your favorites.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Mixing the dressing
Building the toasts
Older helpers can help by:
Cutting up the chicken
Cutting up the avocado