Sure you can get an ice cream cone anywhere, but there is something special about getting an ice cream cake. An ice cream cake is always a fun surprise for a birthday or special occasion. But you don’t have to wait for a special occasion to have an ice cream cake. My recipe for Hot Fudge Sundae Ice Cream Cake can make any day into a special day. The recipe is easy to follow and easy to make your own. So make someone’s day a little more special and make them an ice cream cake.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups, a medium bowl, a rubber spatula, a paring knife and cutting board, a blender or food processor, a stand mixer with paddle attachment, and a 9 - 10 inch spring form pan.
If you are not allowed to use the blender or stand mixer by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Hot Fudge Sundae Ice Cream Cake (10 -12 Pieces)
1 Gal. Vanilla Ice Cream (If you are using a 9 inch pan use 3 quarts of ice cream)
10 oz. Butter or Shortbread Cookies
¼ Cup Caramel Sauce
1 Cup Chopped Pecans or your favorite chopped nuts
2 Tbl. Butter, Melted
1 Jar Hot Fudge Sauce
¼ Cup Maraschino Cherries, Chopped
1 Can Whipped Cream
Optional: Any or all of your favorite sundae or ice cream toppings.
3. Remove the bottom of your spring form pan and cover it with aluminum foil. Place the bottom back into the spring form collar and close the collar.
4. Break up your cookies and add them to your blender or food processor. Blend the cookies into small crumbs so there are no large pieces left. In a small cup or bowl heat your butter for 25-30 seconds in the microwave. Add your cookie crumbs to your medium bowl and pour the butter over the crumbs.
5. Mix the butter and crumbs with a large spoon. The crumbs will begin to stick together. When the butter is mixed into all of the crumbs pour the mixture into the spring form pan. Using the back of your spoon spread the crumbs evenly into the bottom of the pan. Press the crumbs firmly into place.
6. Place ½ of your ice cream into your mixer and mix on low speed using a paddle. Do not be surprised if your mixer is working hard. As your ice cream loosens up increase the mixers speed. Mix the ice cream until it looks like frosting 3-5 minutes.
7. Pour all of the ice cream into the spring form pan. Spread the ice cream evenly over the cookie base. When the ice cream is even pour the caramel over the ice cream. Top with ½ of the pecans and place the cake into the freezer.
8. Repeat the mixing process with the other half of the ice cream in the mixer until it looks like frosting. Remove your pan from the freezer and fill with the remaining ice cream. It should all fit. If it does not you can enjoy some ice cream while your cake freezes. Smooth the top of the ice cream cake.
9. Cover the cake with plastic wrap and let the cake sit for 12 – 24 hours in the freezer. When you are ready to serve the cake run your knife under warm water and slide the knife between the pan and the cake. Cut the cake away from the collar. Loosen the collar and remove from the cake.
10. Slice the cake and serve. Top you cake with whipped topping, chopped cherries, chopped nuts, and hot fudge.
Something fun that you can do for your guests is set up an ice cream bar. Set out all of your favorite toppings like sprinkles, cherries, nuts, and candies and let your guests top their own cake. Try different cake bases, ice cream flavors, or sauces to make your own favorite ice cream cake.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Breaking up the cookies
Blending the cookies
Mixing the cookies with the butter
Patting the crust into the bottom of the pan
Mixing the ice cream
Topping the cake