This week I told my friends I was going to make Blondies. Their first question was, “What is a Blondie?” After I explained that a Blondie is, a vanilla brownie, one of my friends said, “Those sound wonderful, you should add some chocolate.” Blondies are easy to make and while you can add chocolate, nuts, fruit or just about anything else you want, after I shared my Raspberry Cream Blondies with my friends, they agreed that they were just as good without the chocolate.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a hand or stand mixer with a bowl, a rubber spatula, a small bowl, a thin knife, chopstick, or skewer, an 8X8 or 9X9 baking pan, a small glass bowl or cup, a microwave, and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use the mixer or oven by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Raspberry Cream Blondies (12-16 servings)
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
¾ Cup Butter, Room Temperature (1½ sticks of butter)
2 ea. Eggs
1½ Cups All Purpose Flour
½ tsp Baking Powder
¼ tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
2 tsp Vanilla
4 Tbl. Greek Yogurt, Vanilla
4 Tbl. Raspberry Jam (You can substitute any kind of jam you like.)
1 tsp Butter to grease your pan, or pan spray
1 Tbl. Flour to flour your pan
1 cup Chopped Nuts, Chocolate Chips, Dark Chocolate Chips, Butterscotch Chips, Toffee Pieces, Peanut Butter Pieces, Candy Bar Pieces, Pretzel Pieces, or anything else you can think of putting in or on a vanilla blondie
-If you decide to use any of these ingredients you can simply leave out the Greek yogurt and raspberry jam if you like.
3. Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
4. In your mixing bowl add your butter and brown sugar. Cream the sugar and butter by mixing with a paddle attachment on speed 2 or 3 for 2 – 3 minutes. The sugar and butter will become lighter in color and be smooth in appearance. You will want to stop the mixer at least once to scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl to make sure the butter and sugar are mixed well.
5. Add one egg to the butter and sugar and mix on speed two. When the egg is incorporated into the butter and sugar add the second egg and vanilla and repeat the process. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl when finished.
6. In your small bowl mix the flour, baking powder and soda, and salt with a fork.
7. Add the flour mixture to the mixing bowl and mix on speed 1 or 2 until the flour is just incorporated into the butter and sugar mixture. If you are adding nuts or other ingredients add them now. Do not over mix. Remove the mixing bowl and scrape the sides and bottom with your spatula.
8. Spray your baking pan with pan spray or rub the interior with 1 tsp butter. Add 1 tablespoon of flour to the pan and shake the pan to coat the bottom and sides with flour. Dump out any excess flour.
9. Using your spatula add the Blondie batter to the pan and spread it evenly over the bottom of the pan.
10. Spread your Greek yogurt evenly over the top of the Blondie batter. Put the jam in your small bowl and microwave for 15 seconds. Spread the jam evenly over the Greek yogurt.
11. Using a knife, chopstick, or skewer, put the skewer into the batter and touch the bottom of the pan. Drag the skewer through the batter and topping making rows through the batter from one side of the pan to the other. Make about 10 rows.
12. Bake the Blondies for 28-30 minutes. It is a little difficult to test the Blondies when done because the yogurt and jam will coat the skewer or knife when you test the cake to see if it is done.
13. Remove the Blondies from the oven and let cool before cutting.
Try them as they are or add your favorite ingredients to make them your own.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out ingredients
Adding the ingredients to the mixer
Older helpers can help by:
Running the mixer
Prepping the pan
Spreading and topping the batter