It’s S ’mores season, but not everyone has a campfire to make one. So before you even think about starting a fire in your driveway or trying to make S ‘mores over the stove, try my S ’mores Puppy Chow. The best part is you can take it with you wherever you go. Whether you are watching fireworks, sitting at the lake, or traveling in the car on a road trip, everyone will be happy with a handful of S ‘mores Puppy Chow. And if you do finally get around a campfire you can just use your time to sing a few campfire songs instead.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a large bowl, a heat proof rubber spatula or wooden spoon, a large paper bag or 2 – 1 gallon sized re-sealable plastic bags, a non-stick sauté pan and the stove .
If you are not allowed to use the stove by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s S ‘mores Puppy Chow (1 Gallon)
½ Cup Peanut Butter, Smooth
½ Cup Butter
12 oz. Chocolate Chips, Semi-Sweet
1 tsp Vanilla
12 oz. Life, Chex, or Rice Chex (Gluten Free) Cereal
2 Cups Powdered Sugar
6 Cups Graham Cereal
-Use Golden Grahams or a generic cereal or a Graham Snack (Bunny or Teddy Graham)
3 Cups Mini-Marshmallows, Plain (I tried colored marshmallows in my recipe by accident)
1 Cup M & M Candies (Use your favorite color, I used Red, White, and Blue for the 4th of July)
3. Add your 12 oz. of cereal to your large bowl.
4. Heat your sauté pan on the stove on medium-low heat. Add peanut butter, butter, chocolate chips and vanilla, and slowly mix together while the ingredients melt. Do not let the mixture bubble. If it begins to stick or bubble turn the heat down. When the mixture is smooth and melted pour it over the cereal and begin to fold the chocolate mixture with the cereal.
5. Do not mix too hard. The idea is to have the chocolate coat the cereal pieces.
6. When the cereal is coated, fill your paper bag with the powdered sugar. Add the cereal to the powdered sugar. Close the bag and gently shake the bag while the powdered sugar coats the cereal pieces. Look in the bag occasionally to see if there are any large pieces. If there are gently break them into smaller pieces. Share for 1-2 minutes.
7. Put cereal pieces back into your bowl. Leave any excess sugar in the bag. Add your graham pieces, M & M’s and marshmallows and fold the ingredients together.
8. Store your S ’mores Puppy Chow in an air tight container or bag.
Enjoy your S ‘mores where ever you go. Try your Puppy Chow with your favorite ingredients toffee chips, white chocolate, dark chocolate, dried fruit, different cereals, nuts, or pretzels to make it your own favorite recipe.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out ingredients
Mixing the ingredients in your bowl
Older helpers can help by:
Melting the ingredients in the pan