It can be fun taking one kind of food and serving it in a new and fun way. Normally you do not serve Indian food as a pizza, but traditional Naan bread really makes a great pizza crust, and Tikka Masala Chicken makes a flavorful topping. Add a little Mexican cheese and you have a fun new way to serve dinner. Of course if you do not want to make your Tikka Masala chicken into a pizza you can just forget the cheese and serve it with rice and a side of Naan.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a knife and cutting board, a medium bowl, a large sauté pan, a heat proof spatula or wooden spoon, the stove, and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use the stove or oven by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Tikka Masala Chicken Pizza (4 servings)
1 lb. Chicken, Breast Meat or Tenders, Medium Diced (bite sized pieces)
2 Tbl. Vegetable Oil
1 Cup White Onion, Small Diced (About 1 small onion)
1 Tbl. Garlic, Fresh, Minced (about 3 cloves)
14 oz. Tomatoes, Petit Diced Tomatoes (1 Can)
½ Cup Yogurt, Plain (1 single serve package, do not use greek yogurt)
¼ Cup Cilantro Leaves, Minced
2-3 Tbl. Lemon Juice (about ½ of a lemon)
-To get the most juice out of the lemon microwave it for 15-20 seconds first.
1 pkg Naan Bread (4 small or 2 large pieces)
-You can generally find this in the deli or bakery section of your grocery store.
4 oz. Cotija or Queso Fresco Cheese, Crumbled (about 1 oz. per pizza)
1 tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1 tsp Coriander, Ground
1 tsp Cumin, Ground
2 tsp Turmeric, Ground
1 tsp Garam Masala
-if you would prefer to make your own garam masala there are many recipes you can find online or in an Indian cookbook.
3. In your medium bowl add chicken pieces, garlic, onion, and vegetable oil and mix well.
4. Heat your sauté pan on medium high heat. Add your chicken mixture. Spread evenly over the bottom of the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes to brown the chicken. Mix the chicken and cook for 2-3 more minutes.
5. Add salt, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and garam masala. Mix well. Add your tomatoes, yogurt, and minced cilantro to the pan and mix well. Turn the heat to medium low and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally. The sauce will thicken but you do not want the Tikka Masala to stick to the bottom of the pan.
6. Pre-heat your oven to 375F.
7. Remove the sauce from the heat and mix in your lemon juice. Let the sauce cool for 5-10 minutes.
8. Divide your Tikka Masala evenly over your Naan bread. Top the Naan pizzas with your cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes. You can bake the pizzas directly on the oven racks, or if you prefer, you can bake them on a cookie sheet. If you bake your pizza on a cookie sheet it may need a few more minutes in the oven.
9. Remove the pizzas from the oven and top with a few fresh cilantro leaves. Slice and serve.
If Tikka Masala pizza does not sound good to you, simply serve the Tikka Masala with a nice basmati or jasmine rice. You will not need the cheese, but you can serve the Naan warmed on the side.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out ingredients
Mixing the chicken, onion, and garlic in the bowl
Assembling the pizzas
Older helpers can help by:
Adding the ingredients to the sauté pan
Cooking the Tikka Masala
Assembling and baking the pizzas