Outside activities are starting up again and that means you will need snacks. Whether it is for a bike ride, race, run, picnic, or for your whole soccer team everybody loves a good snack. My No-Bake, Chewy, Apricot, Oat, and Dark Chocolate Granola bars are just the right amount of nutrition and fun for everyone. The best part about my granola bars is that you know exactly what they are made out of. But be sure you make extras because the parents will want some too.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a wooden or metal spoon, a large mixing bowl, a knife and cutting board, a small plastic microwaveable bowl, an 8X8 or 9X9 pan, a blender or food processor, and the microwave.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, blender or food processor, or microwave by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s No-Bake, Chewy, Apricot, Oat, and Dark Chocolate Granola bars (about 16 bars)
1 ½ Cups Cashews, Roasted & Unsalted
-You could also use Almonds, Peanuts, Sunflower Seeds or your favorite nut. You many need to change the amount you use if you use sunflower seeds.
4 tsp Vegetable Oil
6 Tbl Honey or Agave Nectar
2 Tbl. Brown Sugar
½ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1 Tbl Vanilla
2 Cup Quick Rolled Oats or Gluten Free Quick Rolled Oats
1 Cup Wheat Germ (Ground Flax Seed for Gluten Free Granola Bars)
1 Cup Dried Apricots, Chopped into small pieces
5 oz. Dark Chocolate
3. In your blender or food processor add all of the cashew butter ingredients. Blend until the mixture becomes smooth and there are no lumps or large pieces of cashew left.
4. In your large mixing bowl add the cashew butter, oats, wheat germ, and apricots. Mix well with your spoon until all of the ingredients are blended. If you would like you could also mix the ingredients with your hands.
5. The granola mixture should be shiny and look like cookie dough. The dough should be tacky (a little sticky to the touch) but if the mixture still easily sticks to the bowl or your finger, add a little more wheat germ until the dough sticks to itself and not the bowl or spoon.
6. Put the granola into the 8X8 pan, and using your hands, press it flat into an even layer covering the bottom of the pan.
7. Put your dark chocolate into the plastic bowl and heat for 20-30 seconds. Mix the chocolate with a spoon, and heat again for 20 seconds. Repeat the heating and mixing process until all of the chocolate is just melted. Do not cook for too long or over heat. If you over heat the chocolate (it will go from liquid to lumpy) you will need to throw out this chocolate and start over.
8. Pour the chocolate over the granola as soon as it is finished and spread evenly.
9. Put your granola into the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes, cut and serve.
Use your favorite dried fruits, seeds, nuts, or chocolate for your granola bars to make it your own special recipe. If you are saving your granola bars for later store them in an air tight container or wrap individually with plastic wrap.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out ingredients
Adding ingredients to the bowl
Mixing the ingredients
Pressing the granola into the pan
Older helpers can help by:
Running the blender, chopping the dried fruit, and tempering the chocolate