This week I wanted to make a fun sweet to pack in my lunch. I did not have a lot of time so I made a quick bread recipe. Quick breads use a leavening agent like baking power or soda instead of yeast. Some popular quick breads include banana bread, zucchini bread, corn bread and biscuits. I like banana bread but I wanted to make something a little different so I used oatmeal for the flour as well as an ingredient. And while my White Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Muffins would have been good in my lunch everyone ate them before the weekend was over.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a blender or food processor, a large bowl, a whisk, a scoop, a muffin pan, cupcake liners, and the oven.
If you are not allowed to use the oven or blender by yourself you can ask an adult to help.
ChefElla’s White Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal Muffins (12 Muffins)
2 Cups Quick Oats
-If you use Gluten Free Oats this recipe can be gluten free.
1 Cup Skim Milk, Almond Milk, or Soy Milk
2 ea. Eggs
¼ Cup Butter, Melted
¼ Cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
¼ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
2 tsp Baking Powder
¾ Cup White Chocolate Chips
¾ Cup Cherries, Dried (I used cherry flavored craisins for my recipe)
3. Preheat your oven to 400F. Put your paper liners into your muffin pan.
4. Place 1 ½ cups of oats and your baking powder in your blender (make sure your blender is dry). Blend on high until the mix resembles flour.
5. In your large bowl add the milk, eggs, melted butter, sugar, vanilla, ½ cup of whole oats, and salt. Mix the ingredients well until the sugar dissolves into the liquid.
6. Add your flour mixture to the wet ingredients and mix until the oatmeal flour is incorporated into the wet ingredients. Mix well. Add the white chocolate chips and dried cherries and mix well.
7. Using your scoop, put equal amounts of batter into each muffin liner. Fill each muffin about ¾ full.
8. Place your muffins in the oven and bake for 18-20 minutes. Using a toothpick or small pointed knife, poke the middle of one of the cupcakes. If the toothpick comes out clean (without muffin batter on it) they are ready. If not bake for an additional 2 minutes and try again.
9. Remove the muffins from the oven and let them cool before you eat them.
This recipe is easy to modify to make it your own. Try different kinds of chocolate, dried fruit, or nuts to make it your own favorite recipe.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out ingredients
Adding ingredients to the blender
Mixing the ingredients
Filling the muffin tins.