There are a few big T.V. events coming up soon, and whether you are having friends over to help you watch or not, nothing says “party” like chips and dip. There is just something wonderful about a big bowl of chips and a cheesy dip. It may be a little messy, and well, not so good for you, but every once in a while there is just no better party food. My Green Chili Queso con Carne is just the right dip for your big night, its a little spicy, a little meaty, and a lot cheesy. If chips and dip is not your thing my Queso makes a great topping for hot dogs, burgers, enchilada, burritos, walking tacos, or wings.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a large sauté pan, a knife and cutting board, the stove, a blender or food processor, and a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, stove, or blender by yourself you can ask an adult to help.
ChefElla’s Green Chili Queso con Carne (about 2 Qts)
14-16 oz. Pulled Chicken
-You can either purchase pulled chicken, purchase whole cooked chicken and pull it, our purchase raw chicken breast or tenders. If you purchase raw chicken cut it into small pieces and follow the directions in step 4.
1 Cup White Onion, Small Diced (about 1 small onion, 4 oz.)
16 oz. Green or Tomatillo Salsa
-Green Salsa is usually medium heat. If you do not like spicy food you can use your favorite variety of mild salsa. For this substitution you can use any color salsa.
1 can Garbanzo Beans (15 oz. can)
1 can Tomato and Green Chilies (10 oz. can)
-I used the mild variety, but if you like really spicy food you can use hotter varieties.
4 oz. Cream Cheese, Light Variety
1 lb. Processed Cheese , Large Dice (Velveeta, Cheese Whiz Spread, American)
1 tsp Cumin, Ground
1 Tbl. Olive Oil
3. Add green salsa and cumin to your blender. Drain and add the garbanzo beans to your blender. Blend until the mixture is smooth. Set the mixture aside for later.
4. If you are using pre-cooked chicken go to step 5. If you are using raw chicken Pre-heat your pan to medium high heat. Add 1 Tbl. of olive oil to the pan and sauté your chicken for about 5 minutes, or until the chicken pieces are no longer pink. Remove the chicken from the pan, place on your cutting board, and let cool. When the chicken is cool smash it with a rolling pin or mallet, or shred with your fingers.
5. Heat your sauté pan on the stove on medium heat and add 1 Tbl. olive oil. Add the onions and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions begin to look translucent.
6. Turn your sauté pan to low and add the chicken, salsa mixture, and tomatoes to the pan and cook on low for 8-10 minutes.
7. Add cream cheese and processed cheese cubes and cook for 10-15 minutes stirring occasionally until all of the cheese has melted into the sauce.
8. Serve your Queso in a heat proof bowl, or keep your sauce warm in a small crock pot.
Serve your Queso with your favorite tortilla chips, pita, or crackers. Or you can use your Queso as a topping for burgers, hot dogs, tacos, enchiladas, burritos, or even a southwestern pizza.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out ingredients
Adding ingredients to the blender
Helping cook the Queso
Older helpers can prep the vegetables, cheese, and chicken.