Holidays are a great time to try new and fun recipes, and holidays always seems to bring a new fun sweet food to try. This year you can be the one with the fun food by making my Pound Cake French Toast. This dish is great for breakfast or as a fun warm dessert. If you do not have pound cake you can always try zucchini or banana bread, Panettone, cinnamon sugar bread or just plain brioche, challah, or your favorite bread.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a bread knife and cutting board, a medium bowl, a whisk, a spatula, a sauté pan and the stove.
If you are not allowed to use a knife or the stove by yourself, you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Pound Cake French Toast (4-6 servings)
1 ea. Pound Cake, Sliced ½ inch thick
4 ea. Eggs
1 Cup Skim Milk, Whole Milk, Half and Half or Milk Substitute
2 Tbl. Brown Sugar
1 tsp Cinnamon
¼ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
½ tsp Orange Extract or Orange Liqueur
Optional: For a crusted French Toast, you will need 1 cup ground almonds, walnuts, pecans, or ground cereal
3. To your medium bowl add eggs, milk, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt and orange extract. Mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated and the eggs are broken down. It is easier to blend the eggs if you break the yolks with your whisk or a fork before mixing.
4. Heat your pan on the stove on medium-low heat.
5. If you are not using a non-stick sauté pan, spray your pan with pan spray or add a little oil to the pan.
6. Dip two pieces of the bread into the egg mixture and let it sit for about 1 minute on each side. Remove from the batter and let any excess egg mixture drip back into the egg batter. Place your French toast into the pan.
a. NOTE: if you are crusting your French toast, dip your bread in the egg mixture, place the battered bread on top of the ground nuts. Gently pat the French toast into the ground nuts and then place your French toast into the pan. This will add a great flavor and texture to your French toast. You will cook the French toast the same way you would un- crusted French Toast.
7. Cook the French toast for 2-3 minutes. When the edges of the French toast begin to brown flip the French toast over. If it is not quite golden in color, you can flip it back over when the other side is done cooking.
8. Place the pound cake French toast on a plate while you cook the rest of your pieces. Repeat the process until all of the French toast is cooked.
Serve your pound cake French toast with syrup, whipped butter, fruit compote, whipped cream, caramel syrup or your favorite topping.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring the ingredients
Mixing the egg batter
Older helpers can help by:
Cutting the pound cake
Battering the pound cake
Cooking the French toast