Fall is in the air, but I am not quite ready for summer to end, so this week I made a fall salad. For my salad I used fall ingredients like wild rice, squash, and dried fruit. If you have never had wild rice before it is a little different than regular rice. Wild rice has a soft interior, a chewy exterior; it has a nutty flavor and is purple in color. A fun fact is that wild rice is not actually rice, but a seed from a grass that grows in the water like rice. If you like wild rice you can try my mock wild rice soup recipe when it really does get cold. http://www.chefella.com/chefellassecretrecipes/2014/02/22014-chefellas-mock-creamy-wild-rice.html
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a wooden spoon, a knife, a peeler, a cutting board, a sauce pan with a lid, a baking sheet, a large bowl, a small bowl, and a whisk.
If you are not allowed to use the stove, the oven, or a knife by yourself you can ask an adult to help.
ChefElla’s Wild Rice Salad (8-10 Servings)
2 Cups Red Onion, Medium Dice (about 1 medium onion)
3 Cups White “Button” Mushrooms, Cut into 6 pieces (about 8 oz. of mushrooms)
-Cut the stem of the mushroom off flat at the bottom of the cap. Place the mushroom flat on the cutting board and cut into 6 pieces. If the mushrooms are very large cut them into 8 pieces and if very small cut into 4 pieces.
3 Cups Butternut Squash, Medium Dice (about 1 – 1 ½ #)
-Cut off the stem and root end of the squash. Peel off the outer layer of the squash with a peeler. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds with large spoon. Lay the squash flat side down and slice up the squash. Lay slices flat and cut into sticks and then into diced pieces.
½ tsp Salt, Sea or Kosher
½ tsp Black Pepper, Ground
2 tsp Parsley Flakes, Dried (you can use fresh if you have it)
¼ Cup Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
1 Cup Wild Rice, Raw (Cook using the Manufacturer’s instructions)
½ Cup Dried Blueberries, Cherries, Cranberries, or Apricots
-For my recipe is used the blueberry flavored cranberries
½ Cup Scallions, Sliced Thin (about 3 pieces)
Salad Dressing Ingredients
¼ tsp Granulated or Dried Garlic
3 Tbl Orange Juice
1/8 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
¼ Cup Olive Oil, Extra Virgin
1 tsp Dijon Mustard
1 tsp Brown Sugar
A. Put all of the ingredients for the dressing in a blender or small bowl. Mix until all of the ingredients are combined.
3. Cook wild rice following manufacturer’s directions. When the rice is done place in the refrigerator to cool.
4. While the rice is cooking, pre-heat oven on to 400F. In your large bowl add red onions, butternut squash, mushrooms, salt, black pepper, parsley flakes, and olive oil. Mix well to coat the vegetables with oil and spices.
5. Spray your baking sheet liberally with pan spray or spread a thin layer of olive oil on the pan. Add your mixed vegetables to the pan and bake for 30 minutes. Wash your large bowl to use later.
6. When your vegetables are done let them cool.
7. Add your chilled wild rice to your large bowl. Add your dried fruit, sliced scallions (green onion), chilled roasted vegetables, and your dressing. Mix well and serve cold.
This wild rice salad is great with grilled meats, sandwiches, or at any of your fall gatherings. If you do not like any of the vegetables I picked for my salad just substitute your favorites.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out the ingredients
Peeling the squash
Measuring out and mixing the dressing
Adding all of the cooled ingredients to the bowl and mixing the salad