It is nice to make a big batch of something, and have it ready to eat right out of the refrigerator. In the cold months of the year it may be soup, a roast, or a big lasagna. But in the summer those heavy foods don’t sound quite as good. My Pepperoni Pasta Salad is not fancy, but it is a great dish to keep ready in your refrigerator for a quick meal after camp, or sports, or swimming. No delivery, no reheating, and no take out needed. Just a few minutes in the kitchen and you will have a quick meal for a few days or an easy salad for the big picnic.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a knife, a cutting board, a very large bowl or large stock pot, a sauce pot, and a large spoon for mixing.
If you are not allowed to use the stove or a knife by yourself you can ask an adult to help.
ChefElla’s Pepperoni Pasta Salad (12-15 Servings)
1Box Bow Tie Pasta 14.5 oz.
5-6 oz. Pepperoni Mini's (Or regular pepperoni cut into 1/4 s)
-You can use turkey pepperoni, salami, or summer sausage for your salad if you like.
-If you do not eat meat just add a few more vegetables like artichokes or hearts of palm to your salad.
8 oz. Fresh Mozzarella Pearls, Drained (Little Pieces)
-If you cannot find mozzarella pearls cut 1 large mozzarella ball into bite sized pieces.
2.25 oz. Black Olives, Sliced, Drained (1 small can)
1 Cup Red Onion, Small Diced, (about 1 small onion)
3/4 Cup Green Pepper, Small Diced (about 1 medium pepper)
10 oz. Grape Tomatoes, Cut In Half or Cherry Tomatoes, Cut In Quarters
3 Tbl Basil, Fresh, Chopped (about 7 large leaves)
16 oz. Italian Dressing, Your favorite brand.
Garnish Shredded Parmesan
3. Cook pasta following the manufacturer’s directions. Drain and rinse pasta until it is cold. Let pasta sit until it is dry.
4. Prepare vegetables and herbs.
5. Mix all of your ingredients together in a large bowl.
6. Let the pasta salad sit for 20-30 minutes in the refrigerator before serving. If you are making the salad a day or two ahead of time, do not add the mozzarella until the day you are going to serve it.
Ella’s Helpers can help in the kitchen by doing any of the following:
Washing the vegetables
Opening and draining the olives and mozzarella
Add and mix all of the ingredients in the bowl
Bigger helpers can help cook the noodles and prepare the vegetables.