It is the unofficial start to summer this weekend. The pools will be cold but open for swimming, and you might be traveling somewhere fun for the weekend. It is a three day weekend and I bet you will be going to a picnic. The past few weeks I have been sharing some of my favorite recipes for the grill. Why have the same old thing when you can eat something new. This week I made my recipe for Island Tuna Burgers. Normally when you think about tuna you think of fish in a can, but fresh tuna is less fishy and more like meat. Now I will understand if you stick with just a plain hot dog, but if you are looking for something fun to add to your picnic this weekend try my Island Tuna Burger. And don’t worry if you don’t have a grill these burgers will taste just as good if you make them in a pan.
ChefElla’s Island Tuna Burgers (4-5 Servings)
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need a knife, measuring spoons and cups, a large mixing bowl, a cutting board, a spatula, a rubber spatula, and a grill.
If you are not allowed to use a knife or the grill by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
1 lb Fresh Tuna Steak, ¼ inch pieces
-Slice tuna into ¼ inch pieces. Cut slices into ¼ inch strips. Cut strips into ¼ inch cubes.
1 ea. Egg
¼ Cup Red Onion, Minced (chopped very small)
¼ Cup Red Pepper, Minced (chopped very small)
¼ Cup Italian (Flat Leaf) Parsley Leaves, Loose Packed
-Wash parsley leaves and pat dry. Mince parsley leaves.
¼ Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
-If you are gluten free you can use gluten free bread crumbs or make your own bread crumbs. Toast gluten free bread. Cut off the crusts. Let the bread cool off and get dried out. Chop the bread by hand into little pieces or use a food processor to chop into tiny pieces.
½ tsp Worcestershire
½ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
½ tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbl Sesame Seeds
4-6 ea. Pineapple Rings, Drained
-For my recipe I just purchased a can of sliced pineapple rings and made sure that I drained the excess liquid until it was all gone.
4-5 ea. Hamburger Buns, Onion Buns, or Kaiser Rolls
Sliced Monterey or your favorite kind of cheese, sliced tomatoes, sliced onions, sliced avocado, lettuce leaves, spicy mayonnaise or any of your favorite burger toppings.
3. Add egg to your bowl and mix well. Add all of your remaining ingredients except tuna to your mixing bowl. Mix well using your rubber spatula.
4. Add tuna to your bowl and gently mix with the other ingredients until all of the ingredients are mixed throughout.
5. Pre-heat grill or stove to medium high heat. Line a large plate with plastic or foil and spray with pan spray. If you would like to cook the burgers on the stove they will take about the same time as cooking them on the grill.
6. Using a ½ cup measure, scoop up the tuna mixture. Gently form the mixture into a patty and place on the foil lined plate. If you would like to make 5 burgers fill the ½ cup up about ¾ full instead of full.
7. When the grill is hot, put your tuna burgers and pineapple rings on the grill over a low flame.
8. After 4-5 minutes turn tuna burgers and pineapple over. Your tuna burgers should take another 4 minutes to finish. Using your spatula remove the tuna burgers and pineapple rings from the grill.
Serve your burgers on a bun and top them with your pineapple rings and any of your favorite burger toppings.