This weeks recipe is one that you will like, but that your parents will love. Risotto is a rice dish made from Italian arborio rice. When arborio rice is cooked it becomes creamy and can be made into a breakfast cereal like oatmeal, a creamy rice pudding dessert, or a savory dinner meal like the one I made. It can be hard to get the texture of risotto just right so it is important to taste it while you are cooking. Once you learn how to make arborio rice you can add whatever ingredients you like to make your own special risotto.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a rubber spatula, a small mixing bowl, a large stock pot, tongs, a knife, and a cutting board.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, grill, or the stove by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla’s Smoked Chicken Risotto (6-8 Servings)
12 oz. Arborio Rice
7.5 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Cup White Wine
1 Cup White Onion, Small Diced (about ½ Medium Onion)
1 tsp Garlic, Minced (1 cloves of garlic)
8 oz. Smoked Turkey Sausage, Small Diced
-A precooked sausage works best.
2 ea Roma Tomatoes, Small Diced
3 Cups Arugula, Fresh, Chopped
-Aruglua is a bitter green. If you do not like bitter you can substitute fresh Spinach.
8 oz Mozzarella, Fresh or Packaged, Shredded
1 Tbl. Olive Oil
14 oz. Chicken Breasts
Smoked Chicken Marinade
¼ Cup Olive Oil
2 tsp Garlic, Minced (2 cloves of garlic)
1 tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1 tsp Balsalmic Vinegar
1 Tbl Smoked Paprika
3. Mix together smoked chicken marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Pour marinade into a large resealable plastic bag. Add chicken breasts seal the bag and mix chicken with the marinade. Put chicken in the refrigerator.
4. Heat large stock pot on medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, onions, and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes stiring occasionally. Add turkey sausage and cook for 5 minutes stiring occasionally.
5. Add arborio rice and cook for 2-3 minutes stiring occasionally.
6. Add 1 cup of wine and mix well. Add 7.5 cups of chicken stock and cook for 30-40 minutes on medium stiring occasionally.
7. Pre-heat grill to medium high heat. Put chicken on grill not over direct heat. If you put the chicken over a flame the oil will flame up and burn the chicken. Cook for 5 minutes on one side. Flip chicken over and cook for another 3 minutes. If the chicken breasts are very thick they may take more time to cook. Chicken should be cooked to 165F internal temperature, and firm to the touch. Take chicken off the grill and let it rest until you are ready to serve.
8. As the risotto cooks the appearance of the grains of rice will go from white to clear. The best way to determine if it is done is to taste it. Risotto will have a sticky almost oatmeal look.
9. The risotto is done when it has the feel of normal rice when you eat it. When it is done turn the heat to low.
10. Add shredded mozzarella, diced tomatoes, and chopped arugula or spinach to the risotto and mix well. When the mozzarella is melted into the risotto it is done.
11. Slice chicken breast and serve over risotto.