Plain vegetables are really good for you, but they don't always taste great plain. Having a good vegetable dip can make eating plain vegetables much easier to eat. Hummus and crackers taste good together, however they both have alot of oil in them. My hummus and chips are made with only a little bit of oil so you can eat more of them with your favorite vegetables.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a small saute pan, a wooden spoon, a small bowl, a knife, a cutting board, a whisk, a cookie sheet, and a blender.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, the oven, the stove, or the blender by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla's White Bean Hummus w/ Herb Crackers (Yields 2 cups of )
White Bean Hummus
1 Can Great Northern Beans (15.8 oz can) Drained and Rinsed
1/4 Cup White Onion, Small Diced (about 1/4 of a small onion)
1 tsp Garlic, Minced
1 Tbl +1 tsp Olive Oil
1 Cup Hearts of Palm (salad cut, about 3/4 of a can drained)
1 Pinch Paprika, (about 1/8 tsp)
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Italian Parsley, Minced (1/4 cup leaves loosely packed)
1 ea. Thin Whole Wheat Pizza Crust
1 tsp Olive Oil
1/4 tsp Paprika
1 tsp Dried Oregano
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 tsp Onion Powder
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
3. Preheat your oven to 375F. Line your cookie sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spray aluminum foil with pan spray.
4. To make your herb crackers, put 1 tsp or olive oil on your pizza crust. In a small bowl mix all of the spices. Cut pizza crust into triangle pieces. Put cracker pieces on your cookie sheet. Sprinkle herb mixture over cracker pieces.
5. Spray herb crackers with pan spray. Put crackers in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes or until crackers are starting to brown. Let crackers cool until you are ready to eat.
6. To make hummus, heat your small pan on the stove on medium high heat. Add olive oil, white onion, and garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes stiring frequently.
7. Add white beans, hearts of palm, lemon juice, onion mixture, kosher salt, and paprika. Blend mixture until it is smooth. Put hummus into your small bowl.
8. Mince flat leaf parsley and mix into hummus.
9. Cover and chill hummus in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
Serve hummus with herb crackers, carrot sticks, celery sticks, bell pepper sticks, jicama sticks, broccoli floretes, or your favorite vegetables.