The end of the year is coming and I know I will be celebrating the New Year with my friends. While some people enjoy a fancy dinner at New Year’s, others like to celebrate with an appetizer, or hors d'oeuvres party. However you choose to celebrate, my beef and blue cheese crostini will be a great addition to the party. These crostini are an easy to make recipe that will keep you out of the kitchen and together with your friends.
Happy New Year!
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need a serrated knife and cutting board, a medium bowl, measuring cups, the oven, and a cookie sheet.
If you are not allowed to use the oven by yourself you can ask an adult to help.
ChefElla’s Beef and Blue Cheese Crostini (about 36 pieces)
12 - 16 oz. Roast Beef, Thin Sliced
-I purchased a good sandwich roast beef from the grocery store deli. I asked for it to be sliced thin. If you like a lot of meat on your crostini you will need 16 oz.
5 oz. Blue Cheese, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, or your favorite blue cheese, crumbled
-5 oz. is about 1 tub of store bought crumbled blue cheese.
If you do not like blue cheese you can substitute feta, goat cheese, a Mexican Queso Fresco, or brie.
NOTE: If you choose to use brie or a similar soft cheese, you will not need the mayonnaise. Simply slice the brie into pieces and place on top of the bread or spread the brie on top of the bread and then bake.
2/3 Cup Mayonnaise
1 ea. French Baguette, cut into ¼ inch slices, about 36 pieces
-Cut your baguette at a slight angle. This will make your slices a little longer.
Garnish Minced Chives, Flat Leaf (Italian Parsley), or Thin Sliced Green Onions
3. Pre-heat oven to 375F.
4. In your bowl mix your blue cheese and mayonnaise using a large fork. Mash the large pieces of blue cheese into the side of the bowl to make them smaller. The mixture should be blended well but you should still be able to see blue cheese pieces.
5. Slice the baguette. Spread a small amount of the blue cheese mixture onto the bread, about 2 teaspoons. Use can use more or less if you like.
6. Place the crostini’s onto your cookie sheet in one layer. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until you just begin to see the cheese brown on top.
7. Remove the crostini from the oven and place onto your serving dish.
8. Slice the roast beef in half widthwise. Roll each half piece into a tube shape and place it on top of the crostini. When you have topped them all, garnish with chives, parsley, or green onions.
You can bake the crostini 1-2 hours in advance if you would like. Let the crostini cool after baking, place on a plate and cover with foil so the bread does not continue to dry out. Put roast beef on top before serving. Do not refrigerate after baking. This will make the bread soft and rubbery.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Measuring out the ingredients
Mixing the blue cheese and mayonnaise
Topping the bread slices
Placing the bread on the cookie sheet
Rolling and topping the crostini
Older helpers can help by slicing the bread.