Open faced sandwich, knife and fork sandwich, hot sandwich, and commercial are all different names for the same kind of sandwich. A commercial sandwich is made by taking a piece of bread, topping it with any of your favorite sandwich and non-sandwich ingredients, and then eating it. Usually the sandwiches are big, messy, taste great, and are eaten with a knife and fork. A commercial is a great way to use up leftovers, but sometimes I just like to make them on purpose because they are so good.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need a knife, scooper (optional), cutting board, and oven, stove, or microwave.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, stove, oven, or microwave by yourself you can ask an adult to help.
ChefElla’s Hot Turkey Commercial (1 sandwich)
1 ea. Piece of Bread, Thick Sliced (Challah, Sourdough, White, Wheat, or your favorite)
As Desired Turkey, Sliced (Use your favorite part of the turkey, white or dark meat)
-If your family serves Ham, Beef, or Tofurky for your thanksgiving meal or if you are just sick of turkey, you can substitute other meats instead of sliced turkey.
As Desired ChefElla’s Traditional Turkey Stuffing
As Desired Mashed Potatoes, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, or both
As Desired ChefElla’s Homemade Gravy
As Needed Butter
Optional: You could also top your sandwich with bacon, extra meats like ham or roast beef, cheese, or vegetables like tomato, sautéed peppers and onions, or avocado. Use your imagination and taste buds to make your hot turkey commercial.
3. Reheat your sliced turkey, stuffing, potatoes, and gravy using the oven, stove, or microwave.
4. Toast your bread. Butter your bread, and cut the piece of bread in half.
5. Place your bread halves on your plate. Top each half of bread with your sliced turkey. Top your turkey with a scoop of stuffing and a scoop of mashed potatoes. Add any optional toppings you would like to add to your sandwich and top your sandwich with gravy.
6. Serve your hot turkey commercial with a knife and fork and enjoy.
Hot turkey commercials are not just for the day after thanksgiving. You can make them anytime of the year for any meal using the topping you may have available. For breakfast top toast, bagel, or biscuit with sausage or bacon, cheese, hash browns, and finish with hollandaise sauce or white gravy. For dinner top pita bread, French bread or a hamburger bun with sliced beef, sautéed peppers and onions, French fries or roasted potatoes, and cheese sauce. Use your imagination and make up your favorite commercial sandwich.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Building their own commercial sandwich.