Nothing is better in your lunch or after school than a homemade treat. It is easy to buy treats but there is something more fun about making your own. My cocoa chocolate cookies are made with bananas so I do not need to use as much butter. My cookies are easy to make, great to eat, and fun to share. I know that once you try them they will be one of your favorites too.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a medium bowl, a hand or stand mixer with a mixing bowl, a small ice cream scooper, offset spatula (pancake turner), and a cookie sheet.
If you are not allowed to use the oven or mixer by yourself you can ask an adult to help.
ChefElla’s Cocoa Chocolate Cookies (About 50 Cookies)
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
¾ Cup Cocoa Powder
1 tsp Baking Soda
½ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Light Brown Sugar, Packed
1 Stick Butter, cut into pieces (1 stick = 8 Tbl or ½ Cup)
2 ea. Eggs, Large
1 Cup Mashed Bananas (about 3 medium bananas)
2 tsp Vanilla
1 Cup Mini Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips (1 Cup minis = 2 Cups regular chips)
-If you like dark or white chocolate you can used them instead.
½ Cup Walnut Pieces (If you are allergic to nuts you can leave them out.)
-If you like other kinds of nuts you can use your favorites.
3. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
4. Add all of your dry ingredients to your medium bowl. Mix well with a fork or small whisk.
5. In your mixing bowl add sugars, butter, and eggs and blend well using beaters, or a paddle attachment. Mix for 2-3 minutes or until the ingredients are well blended and look smooth. You may need to scrape the sides of the bowl once during mixing just to make sure the ingredients at the bottom of the bowl are mixed in. Mixing the eggs, butter, and sugar is called creaming, because when done the ingredients look creamy.
6. Add your dry ingredients and mix on a low speed to incorporate all of the ingredients together 1-2 minutes. When mixed add your chocolate chips and nuts. Mix for another minute or so.
7. Spray your cookie sheet with pan spray. Scoop cookies onto your cookie sheet (If you do not have a small scoop you can use two teaspoons. Use one spoon to scoop the dough and the other spoon to scrape the dough off the spoon onto the pan.) Make sure your cookies have enough room to spread while baking so that they will not touch. If you have a non-stick cookie sheet you will not need to spray the pan with pan spray.
8. Put the cookies in the oven and bake for 9-10 minutes.
9. Let the cookies sit for 1-2 minutes and then remove the cookies from the pan with an offset spatula (pancake turner).
10. Let the cookies cool on a cookie rack or place a piece of foil on the counter and let them cool on top of that.
When the cookies are cool store in an air tight container and they will stay moist, or freeze them to have for later.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Adding ingredients to the bowls
Scooping the dough
Older helpers can help by mixing the ingredient in the mixer