It is Halloween this weekend and the last thing any of us are thinking about is dinner. All we can think about is candy, friends, our costume, and candy (I know I said candy twice, but I just like it so much). But you need a lot of energy to walk around all night carrying that heavy bag full of candy. So you need to start with a great dinner. My Greek Chicken Pitas are just the thing. Everything is easy to prepare ahead of time and cook at the last minute, so you can enjoy your time trick-or-treating instead of making dinner. Enjoy your Halloween and make sure you have a healthy dinner before enjoying all of that candy.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a blender, a knife, a cutting board, a tongs, and the grill or oven.
If you are not allowed to use a knife, the grill or oven, or blender you can ask an adult to help.
ChefElla’s “Not Your Mummy’s” Greek Chicken Pitas (4-6 servings)
Marinated Grilled Chicken
16 -20 oz. Chicken Breast
-If you prefer another kind of meat for your pitas it will be just as tasty in this marinade.
-If you do not eat meat you can substitute tempeh, meat substitutes, falafel, or you can roast garbanzo beans in the oven that have been marinated in the following ingredients.
¼ Cup Olive Oil
¼ Cup Lemon Juice (1-2 large lemons)
¼ Cup Greek Yogurt (about ½ of a 5.3 oz. container)
¼ Cup Onion, White, Small Diced (about ¼ of a small onion)
-Dice the whole small onion. Use ¼ cup for the recipe, and the rest as a topping for your pita.
1 tsp Granulated Garlic
1 Tbl Parsley Flakes, Dried
1 Tbl Honey
1 tsp Thyme, Dried
1 tsp Basil, Dried
½ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
¼ tsp Black Pepper
Ttzatziki Sauce (Greek Cucumber Sauce)
NOTE: If you do not want to make this sauce you can purchase it at the store.
1 ¼ Cups Greek Yogurt (2 – 5.3 oz. containers + the half container you used for the chicken marinade)
1/8 Cup Lemon Juice (about ½ of a large lemon)
¼ Cup Cucumber, Seedless, Small Diced (about ¼ of a medium cucumber)
-Dice the whole cucumber. Use ¼ cup for the recipe, and the rest as a topping for your pita. If you cannot find a seedless cucumber, just cut the cucumber in half lengthwise and using a small spoon, scrape out the seeds before dicing.
¼ tsp Granulated Garlic
¼ tsp Salt, Kosher or Sea
1 tsp Honey
½ tsp Dill, Dried
1 Pkg. Pitas, White or Whole Wheat
1-2 ea. Tomatoes, Roma, Diced for topping your pita
1 Pkg. Lettuce, Shredded (You can cut your own if you prefer. Romaine, Iceberg, and fresh Spinach are all good choices.)
6 oz. Feta Cheese, Crumbled for Topping your Pita
3. To your blender add all of the grilled chicken ingredients except the chicken and blend well.
4. Add the chicken and sauce to a sealable plastic bag or container with a lid. Mix the chicken and marinade well. Make sure the marinade is covering the chicken and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
5. While the chicken is marinating, wash your blender. Add all of the Greek cucumber sauce ingredients to the blender and blend until the sauce is smooth.
6. Put the sauce in a bowl with a lid and place in the refrigerator.
7. Take the topping ingredients (tomatoes, feta cheese, onions, and cucumbers) and put them in small bowls. Cover and place in the refrigerator until you are ready to eat. Cut the pitas in half and open them carefully so they can be stuffed. Put the pitas back in there package until you are ready to eat.
8. When you are ready to eat, pre-heat the grill to medium high heat. If you do not want to grill, you can broil the chicken in your oven.
9. Place the chicken on the grill, but not over a direct flame.
10. Cook for 5-6 minutes on one side and then turn the chicken over and cook for another 3-4 minutes. The chicken should be firm to the touch when done and should be cooked to an internal temperature of 165F. If your chicken breasts are thick add 1-2 minutes on each side.
11. Let the chicken cool for 5 minutes and then slice into thin strips.
Open your pita pockets and add lettuce and chicken. Top your pita with any or all of your toppings: tomatoes, feta, cucumbers, onions, Greek Cucumber Sauce. Pitas are easy to make and easy to walk around with.
ChefElla’s helpers can help by:
Adding ingredients to the blender
Older helpers can help by cutting ingredients or grilling, with help as needed.