This Sunday people will get together to watch the biggest football game of the year. If you don't want to watch the football game then you can watch the funny commericals and the half-time show. My favorite part of the football party is the food that people bring to share with each other. Just like every other get together there are special foods that people want to eat. Football parties are known for buffalo chicken wings, nachos, chips, dips, and meat. For my party I wanted to make my special brisket. This was a recipe that I got from my Grandmother, and while she use to make it for family dinners I wanted wanted to make it to share with my friends. While making a brisket does take some time it is definitely worth it.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a large bowl, a knife, a cutting board, and a large casserole dish.
If you are not allowed to use a knife or the oven by yourself you can ask an adult for help.
ChefElla's Big Game Brisket Sandwiches (Yields 8-10 servings)
3 lb. Beef Brisket
1 pkg. Dry Onion Soup Mix
2 tsp Garlic Powder
1 can Petit Diced Tomatoes (14.5oz.)
1 ½ Cups Red Wine
8-10 ea Buns or Rolls
-You can also purchase a large French bread and cut into sandwich sized pieces.
10-12 ea Cheese Slices, Provolone, Swiss or your favorite kind of cheese
Optional: ½ lb. Baby Carrots, ½ lb. Pearl Onions, 1 lb. Red Potatoes, Quartered
- While you will not be using the vegetables in this recipe they would be great to eat with lunch or dinner on another day.
3. Pre-heat oven to 275F.
4. In a medium bowl mix onion soup mix, garlic powder, tomatoes, and red wine.
5. Line baking dish with aluminum foil. If you are using the vegetables, spread them on the bottom of the baking dish.
6. Place brisket fat side up on top of the vegetables. Pour liquid mixture over the brisket.
7. Cover brisket with foil and place in the oven. Cook for 4 hours or until the brisket is tender.
8. Remove the brisket from the pan. Let the brisket sit for 20 minutes before slicing.
9. Slice the brisket, against the grain, into thin pieces.
10. If you cooked the brisket with vegetables drain the cooking liquid and save the vegetables for later.
Make your brisket into sandwiches. Top with cheese, bbq sauce, cheese sauce, Giardiniera (a sandwich relish), vegetables or just eat it plain.