What is fennel you ask? I will tell you. It is that great flavor you love in your sausage. For this recipe I took it out of the sausage put it in on my pork kabobs. The fun thing about this recipe is that you can use whatever kind vegetables and meat you want to make your kabobs. Kabobs are a fun hand held food great for picnics our outdoor events because you do not need a plate or utensils to eat them. But be careful not to stick yourself with the skewer. If you want to take your food off your kabob the best way is to slide it off with a fork.
For this recipe you will need to use a knife, and the grill. If you are not allowed to use a knife, or grill by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a knife, the blender, a cutting board, tongs, a loaf pan, and the grill.
ChefElla's Fennel Pork Kabobs(This recipe will make 6 kabobs)
1 lb. Pork Roast or Thick Cut Pork Chops, cut into 1 inch cubes
*If you do not like pork you can substitute chicken or turkey.
1 ea White Onion, Large
-Cut onion in half. Place onion flat side down. Cut each half in half again
lengthwise. Cut each half into three parts leaving you with large onion squares.
-If you do not want your quesadillas spicy substitute Monterey Jack Cheese
1 ea. Gala or Fuji Apple, Large
-Cut apple in half. Remove core and place apple flat side down. Cut each half into
again lengthwise. Cut each half into three parts leaving you with 12 large apple
*If you do not like fruit with your entree you can substitute button mushrooms.
Cut the stem flush with the bottom of the mushroom cap.
6 ea Skewers, soak skewers in water
2 ea Shallots, Large (If you cannot find large shallots just use 3 smaller ones)
2 ea Garlic Cloves, (If you only have minced garlic use two teaspoons)
1/2 Cup Italian Parsley, also called Flat Leaf Parsley
1 Cup Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 Tbl Fennel Seeds, Whole
3. In your blender add all of the marinade ingredients and mix until they are smooth and the fennel seeds are ground up.
4. Drain your skewers and begin to assemble your kabobs in this order. For the onions use 3 or 4 layers of the onion cubes for each layer. One piece of meat. one piece of apple, one layer of onion, one piece of meat, one layer of onion, one piece of meat, one apple, one onion, one piece of meat.
5. After assembling the kabobs rub each kabob with marinade. If you can let the kabobs marinate overnight in a loaf pan. If not let them sit in the marinade for at least 1 hour.
6. Pre-heat grill to medium high heat.
7. Place kabobs on the grill but not over a direct flame. If you do the oil on the kabobs will hit the flame and flare up on your kabobs, burning or causing a bad taste to occur.
8. Cook on one side for 2 minutes. Turn kabob 1/4 turn. and cook for 2 minutes. Turn two more times until you have cooked kabob on all sides.
Serve kabobs over rice or with a nice salad.
*If you do not want to make kabobs just marinate the meat or vegetables of your choice and grill or roast whole.