Everyone I know loves to eat this salad when I serve it, but they all complain about it while I am making the salad. The reason is, that when you cook the dressing for the salad, you will stink up your kitchen. The reason, is that the vinegar gives off a very strong smell when heated. Just open a window or turn on a fan while cooking the dressing and it will not be as bad. Eventually, the smell will go away, and no one will complain when they are eating this fresh salad with their dinner or at a picnic. Enjoy your Fourth of July and enjoy your Israeli Couscous Salad.
For this recipe you will need to use a knife and the stove. If you are not allowed to use a knife or stove by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a knife, a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, a medium sauce pan, a large bowl, a small bowl, a small sauté pan, and a cutting board.
ChefElla's Israeli Couscous Salad (This recipe will make 6-8 servings)
8 oz. Israeli Couscous, dried.
-Israeli Couscous is a larger pearl couscous.
If you buy the couscous from the bulk area of the store the directions for cooking
are as follows: Cook 1 cup of couscous in 1 1/4 cup of water. Simmer on low
covered for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff (lightly mix) with a fork, let
couscous sit for 5 minutes.
1 Cup Cucumber, Small Diced (1 small cucumber)
-Cut cucumber in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds with a spoon. Cut cucumber
into long strips and then into 1/4 inch long pieces.
1 Cup Red Onion, Small Diced (1 small onion, or 1/2 medium onion)
1 Cup Yellow Bell Pepper, Small Diced (1 medium bell pepper)
1 Cup Roma Tomatoes, Medium Diced (2 Roma Tomatoes)
4 oz. Feta Cheese, crumbled, or Parmesan Cheese, shredded
NOTE: If you do not like feta cheese substitute Parmesan
Israeli Couscous Salad Dressing
1/4 Cup Malt Vinegar or Salad Vinegar
1/4 Cup Honey
-An easy trick to get honey out of the cup is to spread a little oil in the cup before
filling it up with honey. It will keep the honey from sticking to the cup.
2 Tbl. Dried Parsley
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3. To make the dressing, preheat the sauté pan on medium. Add vinegar, honey, and parsley to the pan. Turn pan up to medium high heat. Stir occasionally and let simmer for 2-3 minutes. In your small bowl add oil, vinegar and honey mixture, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix well with a fork.
4. Cook couscous according to instructions. When finished pour couscous into your large bowl. Top couscous with dressing and mix well.
5. Add all of the remaining ingredients to your mixing bowl and fold salad until it is blended.
6. If the salad tastes too bitter to you, add more honey until it is to your liking.
Serve as a salad or as a side with dinner.