One of my secrets, is that I am always trying to make my favorite recipes a little better for me. This does not mean that everything I make is completely free of fats, sugars, gluten, oil, or full of antioxidants, vitamins, lean proteins, whole grains, and vegetables. I just try to keep my recipes balanced, and even if I change one thing for the better I know I am taking a step in the right direction. For this recipe, I took my favorite chicken salad, and took out one ingredient, mayo. I know you are all saying, "How can it be chicken salad without the mayo?" I say, "Just try my recipe," and you will see. This week when you are making one of your favorite recipes, try to change one thing, or use a little less of an ingredient to make it a little healthier for your family or friends.
For this recipe you will need to use a knife. If you are not allowed to use a knife by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a knife, a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, a blender or cuisinart, a large bowl, a strainer, and a cutting board.
ChefElla's Artichoke Chicken Salad (This recipe will make 4-6 servings)
1 lb. Chicken, Cooked
-For my chicken salad I buy a cooked rotisserie chicken from the store. I let the
chicken cool down, I remove the skin, and I pick the meat from the bones for the
1 Can Artichokes, Drained (15 oz Can)
-You can buy the least expensive kind or brand.
1 Can Diced Water Chestnuts, Drained (8 oz Can)
1/4 Cup White or Sweet Vidalia Onion (1/4 of a small onion)
1/2 Cup Celery, Small Diced (2 small or 1 large stalk)
-Wash celery stalk. Cut brown ends off of celery. Cut celery in half lengthwise. Cut
each half of celery lengthwise again. You can continue to do this until the pieces are
as thin as you want them. Chop the celery stalks into small pieces. The thinner the
celery is cut, the smaller the pieces will be when you chop them.
1/4 Cup Italian Parsley, remove leaves from the stems. (Not a packed cup the leaves should
-Italian parsley is also called flat leaf parsley. Regular parsley is called curly parsley.
3 Tbl. Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
1/4 Cup Red Pepper, Small Diced
1/4 Cup Walnuts, Chopped
3. Chop up chicken into bite sized pieces. Chop up onions, celery, and mince parsley, keep separate. Drain Artichokes and Water Chestnuts.
4. Add artichokes, onions, olive oil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and garlic to the blender. Puree ingredients into a paste. There should be no lumps. If the ingredients will not blend add one tablespoon of water.
5. Add all of the ingredients to your mixing bowl and mix well.
6. Let chicken salad cool and serve.
Serve as a sandwich, wrapped in a tortilla, or in a lettuce cup.