Some of my friends at school told me they do not eat meat. I was a little surprised by this because I have never met a vegetarian before. I was even more surprised to find out that there are different kinds of vegetarians. Some vegetarians do not eat anything but fruits, grains and vegetables. While others eat fruit, grains, vegetables and dairy products. My friends explained that there are many different kinds of vegetarians and they can all eat different foods. I wanted to have my friends over for a bbq this weekend so I came up with this quinoa burger. I normally do not eat foods like this, but I have to admit these quinoa burgers were really good. So enjoy your quinoa burgers, and now you can have your vegetarian friends over for a bbq.
For this recipe you will need to use a knife and the stove. If you are not allowed to use a knife and stove by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a knife, a rubber spatula or wooden spoon, sauté pan, small sauce pot with lid, a strainer, a blender, a cutting board and a medium mixing bowl.
ChefElla's Quinoa Burgers (This recipe will make 6-8 servings)
1 Cup Quinoa, Red, White or Mixed
-Quinoa is a grain high in protein.
1 Can Pinto Beans, Drained and Rinsed (15 oz Can)
1/4 Cup Onion, Chopped
-Chop the onion first and then measure in your cup.
1 Cup Mushrooms, Chopped
1 tsp Garlic, Fresh Minced
2 ea. Eggs
1 1/2 Cup Panko Bread Crumbs
-Panko bread crumbs are a Japanese bread crumb. It does not have any crust it is
just the white part of the bread.
-If you are making a gluten free recipe, substitute a par cooked steel cut oatmeal.
2 Tbl. Walnuts, Chopped
2 Tbl. Olive Oil
1 tsp Browning Liquid
-I use a brand called Kitchen Bouquet. I use this one because it does not have MSG
1 Tbl. Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp BlackPepper
3. Rinse quinoa in a strainer with cold water. Heat 2 cup of water in your small sauce pot. When the water comes to a boil add the quinoa. Turn heat down to medium low cover the pot and cook for 10 - 15 minutes. When it is done remove from the heat and pour quinoa in your medium bowl.
4. Heat sauté pan on high. Add olive oil. Add onions, mushrooms and garlic and sauté for 3-5 minutes stirring frequently. Turn off heat and let vegetables cool in the pan.
5. Add 2 eggs to the blender. Add drained and rinsed beans, salt, pepper and browning liquid. Add sautéed vegetables and blend until the mixture is a puree.
6. Add the mixture to the quinoa and mix well. Add panko bread crumbs and mix well.
7. Line a plate or cookie sheet with foil. Spray foil with pan spray.
8. Using a 1/2 cup measure, scoop out some of the quinoa mix. Form into a patty and put on foil. The mixture will be sticky. You may need to wet your hands. If the mixture is not firm enough to make into a patty add another 1/4 cup of bread crumbs.
9. Scoop out the remaining mixture and make into patties.
10. Pre-heat the grill to medium.
11. Put patties on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side not over direct heat.
Top each patty with ketchup, mustard, onions, tomatoes, avocado, cheese or any of your favorite burger toppings.