Last weekend I went to my sisters soccer game. Everyone played a great game, but soccer games are so long. As soon as my sister and her friends were done, all they wanted to do was eat. I felt bad for the team because after playing so hard all they got was the same old snack, juice boxes and fruit snacks. This week I made homemade granola for my sisters team. But you can eat it anytime, at the movies, after school, or after soccer practice. It is so easy to make and you can make as many kinds of granola as you want.
For this recipe you will need to use the oven and stove. If you are not allowed to use the oven or stove by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a large mixing bowl, a small sauté pan, a cookie sheet, and a heat proof spatula or wooden spoon.
ChefElla's Good Grains Granola (This recipe will make 10-12 servings or about 12 cups)
2 Cups Rolled Oats
1/2 Cup Flax Seeds, Raw or Toasted
1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
1 Cup Cashew Pieces, Raw or Roasted, No Salt
-If you do not like nuts you can substitute your favorite kind.
1/3 Cup Apple Juice
2 Tbl. Vegetable Oil
1/3 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
2 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Dried Cherries
-If you do not like dried cherries, you can use dried blueberries, cranberries,
apricots, prunes, raisins, golden raisins, or other dried fruit.
1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Pieces
-If you do not like dark chocolate pieces use your favorite kind.
As Needed Pan Spray (Pam, etc.)
3. Pre-heat oven to 250F.
4. In your large bowl mix rolled oats, flax seeds, chia seeds, kosher salt, and cashews.
5. In your sauté pan mix apple juice, vegetable oil, honey, light brown sugar, and vanilla.
6. Heat your pan over low heat. Mix with a heat proof spatula or wooden spoon. Let the mixture cook for 3-4 minutes but do not let it come to a boil. Mix liquid into your dry ingredients. Mix well.
7. Spray cookie sheet with pan spray. Spread mixture evenly over the cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 1 hour stirring every 15 minutes.
9. Let granola cool down for 20-30 minutes. Mix in dried fruit and dark chocolate pieces.
Remember to share with your friends.