Casserole, Hot Dish, Gratin, Bake. These are all names for a certain kind of cooking. This type of cooking is where you put most or all of your ingredients in one dish to bake and serve. But there is another tradition that goes along with making these one dish recipes. The tradition of bakes is to serve them family style. Family style is when you sit down to eat together with your family or friends. There is nothing better than eating with you friends and family, and my Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Bake is one of the best ways to get everyone to the table together.
For this recipe you will need to use a knife, the stove, and the oven. If you are not allowed to use a knife, stove or oven by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a knife, a large sauté pan, a cutting board, a large baking dish, a small bowl, and a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula.
ChefElla's Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Bake (This recipe will make 6-8 servings)
15 oz White Meat Chicken, Boneless, Skinless (Breast or Tenders)
12 oz Broccoli, Raw, Cut Into Bite Size Pieces
8 oz Cheddar Cheese, Shredded, Low Fat
2 Cups Skim Milk
3 Tbl Butter
1/4 Cup AP Flour
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
1 1/2 Cups Panko Bread Crumbs
1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese
3 Tbl Olive Oil
3. Pre-heat oven to 350F
4. Heat large sauté pan over medium high heat. Add chicken to the pan. Cook for 3 minutes. Flip chicken over and cook for 3 more minutes. Put chicken on a small plate and let cool.
5. Add butter to the pan and let melt. Stir in flour and combine well. Cook for 2 minutes and continue to stir. This mixture is called Roux (pronounced roo).
6. Add 1/2 cup of milk and stir well until roux and milk is a paste like mixture. Add the remaining milk and mix until smooth. Let the mixture (white sauce) come to a simmer. Turn the stove to low add salt, pepper, and cheddar cheese. Mix until the cheese is melted and combined into the white sauce.
7. Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Mix broccoli and chicken into the cheese sauce and turn off the stove.
8. In a small bowl mix oil, parmesan cheese, and panko bread crumbs. Mix until the oil coats all of the bread crumbs.
9. Spray baking dish with pan spray. Add chicken broccoli cheese mix. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over the top.
10. Bake chicken broccoli cheese bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until bread crumbs are golden brown.
Serve chicken broccoli cheese bake over rice or noodles.