It is Easter time and many of you will be making something you will only make once a year. HAM. You may eat it on a sandwich, cook it in your eggs, you may even put some on your salad, but you never cook one for yourself. Well never fear ChefElla is here to help. This year instead of making the same old dried out ham and mashed potatoes, try my balsamic glazed ham with roasted vegetables. You can still serve your ham with all of your holiday favorites, but this year try one of my favorite recipes for your ham.
For this recipe you will need to use the oven and a knife. If you are not allowed to use the oven or a knife by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a small mixing bowl, a large mixing bowl, a whisk, a roasting pan, a disposable oven bag , a knife and a cutting board.
ChefElla's Balsamic Glazed Ham with Roasted Vegetables
Ingredients: (This recipe will make 8-10 servings.)
5 Lb. Smoked Ham, Fully Cooked (Bone-In, Bone-Out or Spiral Cut)
1/4 Cup Balsamic Vinegar
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Tbl. Yellow Mustard
1 Tbl. Kosher Salt
1/2 lb. Baby Carrots, Cut in 1/2 inch rounds
1/2 lb. Fingerling Potatoes, Cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 lb. Brussel Sprouts, Cut in Half
-Cut off the root end. If the sprouts are large cut in half, if small leave them whole.
1/2 lb. Parsnips
-Peel and cut in half lengthwise. Cut parsnips into 1/2 inch 1/2 moon pieces.
1/2 lb. Pearl Onions
3. Pre-heat oven to 325F.
4. In a small bowl mix balsamic vinegar, mustard, brown sugar, salt and honey.
5. Unwrap your ham and remove any netting, plastic and extra fat if necessary.
6. Put ham in your large bowl and rub the whole ham with some of the liquid mix.
7. Put cooking bag in your roasting pan, and put ham in the bag.
8. Prepare vegetables. Put vegetables in the large mixing bowl and pour remaining liquid mixture over
the vegetables and mix well.
9. Add vegetables and liquid to the bag. Close bag and put in the oven.
10. *Bone-In Ham bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until vegetables are soft.
*Bone-Out Ham bake for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until vegetables are soft.
11. Remove ham from oven open the bag and let ham sit for 20 minutes before cutting.
Happy spring and enjoy your dinner with your family and friends.