I like cooking shows. You can get really fun ideas for recipes from the different people you see. The other night I was watching a show that was a cupcake competition. I did not particularly care for the cupcakes that the contestants made, but one of them made a cupcake sandwich. I liked the idea and I could not wait to try it, but I did not know what kind of cupcake sandwich to make. I thought of all of the sandwiches I have eaten, but none of them sounded good as a cupcake. Then it came to me. I could make a peanut butter and jelly cupcake. I looked through different recipes in books and on the web and did not see anything I liked, but I did find a base recipe for a Peanut Butter Cupcake. I knew it would be a good place to start for one of my recipes.
For this recipe you will need to use a mixer and the oven. If you are not allowed to use a mixer or the oven by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring cups and spoons, a butter knife, a stand or electric mixer, a rubber
spatula, a large non-stick muffin pan, a small bowl, a star tip, a heavy duty quart plastic bag.
ChefElla's PB&J Sandwich Cupcakes
(This recipe will make 18-24 servings)
1 3/4 Cups. All-Purpose Flour
1 Tbl. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Peanut Butter (creamy or chunky)
-If you do not use peanut butter you can substitute what ever kind of nut butter you like.
1/4 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Sugar
2 ea. Large Eggs
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Cup Milk
-If you do not use milk you can substitute soy, flax, coconut, or any other kind of milk.
1 pkg. Cupcake Liners
1 Cup Buttercream Frosting, the not whipped variety is best.
3 Tbl. Raspberry Jelly
-You can use whatever kind of jelly you like best.
1 pkg. Colored Sprinkles-Pick sprinkles that will match the color of the jelly you picked.
3. Preheat oven to 350F.
4. In a small bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt.
5. Add peanut butter and butter to your mixing bowl and mix on medium speed until the ingredients are well
6. Turn your mixer off and add sugar. Turn mixer on medium and beat the mixture until it is fluffy. It will
change to a light tan color.
7. Add vanilla and one egg to the mixer on low. When the egg is mixed in add the second egg and mix until
it is mixed in. Mixed in is when you cannot tell the egg from the other ingredients.
8. Turn the mixer to low and alternate adding the flour mixture and 1 cup of milk. Add 1/4 of the flour
mixture to the mixing bowl. Then 1/4 cup of milk. When the ingredients are mixed in repeat the process
until the milk and flour mixture are all mixed into the mixing bowl.
9. Remove the mixing bowl from the stand and scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula to make sure all of the
ingredients are well combined.
10. To bake, spray the muffin pan with pan spray. Add one heaping tablespoon of cupcake batter into
each of the muffin cups. Bake for 8 minutes. Check the doneness by sticking one of the
cupcakes in the center of the pan with your butter knife. If the knife comes out clean the cupcakes
are done. If not cook for 2 more minutes.
11. Turn out your cupcakes and let cool on a plate. Repeat step 10 until all of the batter is gone.
12. Spread out your cupcakes liners. In the bottom of each liner add one of your mini-cupcakes with
the flat side facing up.
13. In your small bowl add your frosting and jelly and mix well. It may be a little soupy but it is ok.
14. Cut a small hole in the bottom corner of the quart bag and put your star tip through the hole.
15. Fill the bag with frosting.
16. Squirt 1 tablespoon of frosting on top of your mini-cupcakes in the liner. Top with another mini
cupcake flat side down to make your sandwich. Repeat the process until all of your cupcakes are
made into sandwiches.
17. Squirt more frosting on top of your cupcakes. If you know how to make designs you can do that
also. Top your cupcakes with the sprinkles and then refrigerate for 1 hour. This will make the
-If you do not have a star tip simply spread your frosting on with a butter knife.
Make your own recipe by trying different kinds of cupcakes and different flavored frostings until you have your own secret recipe.