Anytime someone makes macaroni and cheese, everyone thinks the same thing, will it taste like my favorite kind from the box? My answer is a quick no. Now I know that everyone likes the kind in the box and I like it too, but my mac and cheese is different and I if I wanted it to taste like the box I would just make the box kind. The thing I like about my mac and cheese is that it is creamy, and cheesy, and it is made with real ingredients not just powder from a box. I know at first your friends, and maybe even your Dad, may groan and say, "But its not the same!" Just know that they will like it even though they may not admit it.
For this recipe you will need to use the stove. If you are not allowed to use the stove by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a strainer, a whisk, a heat proof rubber
spatula, and a sauce pan.
ChefElla's Own Mac & Cheese
(This recipe will make 4-6servings each)
3 Cups Rotini Pasta (Corkscrew Shaped), uncooked
-You can use whatever shaped pasta you like. You can even use gluten free pasta.
1/4 Cup Butter (1/4 cup is equal to 1/2 of a stick)
1/4 Cup Whole Wheat Flour
-You can use any kind of gluten free flour for this step.
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 1/2 Cups Skim Milk
-You can use an unflavored milk substitute for this step like, soy milk, flax milk, etc.
1 Tbl Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp. Blue Cheese (if you do not have blue cheese you can just skip this ingredient.
8oz. Cheddar / Jack Cheese
-If you just like cheddar or jack or colby, or any other kind of cheese you can use that
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
3. Fill sauce pan 3/4 full with water and put on stove. Turn pan on high heat. When the water comes to a boil
add pasta and cook for the manufacturers recommended amount of time. Remember to mix the pasta in
the water every few minutes so that it does not stick to the bottom of the pan or to the other pieces.If the
water begins to foam just add a little olive oil and the foam will go away. When the pasta is finished pour
into a strainer over the sink.
4. Return your pan to the stove on medium-high heat and when the water is gone from the pan melt your
butter in the pan.
5. Add your flour to the pan and whisk into the butter. The mixture of butter and flour is called a "Roux".
The mixture will melt and bubble. Mix the roux every 20-30 seconds. The roux will begin to turn a light
brown color and smell like warm buttered toast.
6. Slowly pour in your milk and whisk well until all of the lumps are gone. Stir occasionally to keep the roux
from sticking to the bottom of the pan. The mixture of roux and milk is called a white sauce or "Veloute."
7. When the white sauce comes to a boil it will look like a thick soup.
8. Turn the stove to medium and mix in your salt and cheeses. Mix well and stir slowly until the cheese melts
into the sauce. Add the noodles and mix with your spatula.
Top your mac and cheese with bacon, shrimp, sausage, tomatoes or just eat it as is. Create your own mac and cheese by using your favorite cheeses and create your own famous recipe.