Sometimes it seems like we eat the same things over and over again. Tacos, spaghetti, pizza, spaghetti, tacos. We end up making the same things because they are easy and we know how to make them. Well I have just the recipe to make dinner different, and if you like this recipe but not the ingredients you can change over and over into something different. Stromboli is just a fancy name for a rolled up sandwich. It is like a pocket sandwich you find in your freezer but bigger. The Stromboli I make is like an Italian sandwich but you can make whatever kind of sandwich you like.
For this recipe you will need to use the oven. If you are not allowed to use the oven or a knife by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need a sheet pan (cookie sheet), and a knife.
ChefElla's Stromboli Sandwich
(This recipe will make 4-6 servings)
1 ea. Puff Pastry Sheet (Freezer Section) or Refrigerated Thin Crust Pizza Dough
-You can use the commercial brand pizza dough that comes in the tube, or the fresh dough that you roll out.
-Let your Puff Pastry thaw overnight in the refrigerator or let sit out for 1-2 hours before use.
. 3 lbs Provolone Cheese, Sliced
-All of your meat and cheese will be thin sliced, like you would use for sandwiches.
. 3 lbs Mozzarella Cheese, Sliced
. 3 lbs Swiss Cheese, Sliced
. 3 lbs Ham, Sliced
. 3 lbs Salami, Sliced
3 oz. Pepperoni, Sliced, Turkey Pepperoni preferred
3. Pre-heat your oven to 400F.
4. Unfold your puff pastry onto your counter top. If is it still firm give it a few minutes to warm up. Flatten out the puff pastry with your fingers until it is an even thickness and is about 1 inch larger all around.
-If you are using pizza crust dust the counter with flour and shape the dough into a rectangle. You want the dough to be an even thickness not too thin in any one spot.
5. With the long side of the dough facing you, take half of your provolone and layer it in the middle of the dough. Leave 2 inches at the top and bottom of the dough uncovered.
6. Layer half of the salami on top of the cheese. Then layer half of the Swiss cheese on top of the meat, then layer half of the pepperoni on top of the cheese, then layer half of the mozzarella on top of the meat and then layer half of the ham on top of the cheese.
7. Repeat this process until all of the meat and cheese are layered.
8. Fold the 2 inches of dough up onto the ends, over the meat and cheese layers. Then fold one of the long sides up over the layers. The long side should hold the dough ends in place. Make sure the ends are enclosed.
9. With your finger brush a little water on the top of the dough to make it tacky (tacky is another word for sticky).
10. Take the remaining dough and fold it over the top. It will look like a package
11. Line your cookie sheet with foil and spray with pan spray.
12. Carefully roll the Stromboli over and place it folded side down on the cookie sheet.
13. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
14. Let the Stromboli sit for 10-15 minutes. Slice the Stromboli and serve. If you like your sandwich cold put in the refrigerator and slice into pieces for lunch.
If you do not like any of these ingredients then use whatever you like. Turkey and American, Ham and Swiss, Roast Beef and Cheddar. If you like vegetables add spinach to one of your layers or onions, or roasted peppers, or hummus, or mushrooms. Just use your imagination.