New Years is coming up and I cannot wait to spend the night with my friends. One of the fun things about New Years Eve is the fun foods that people make. Mini meatballs in sauce, mini-hot dogs, chips and dip, shrimp cocktail, cheese and crackers, fruit and chocolate, cookies and cakes, and so many other things. This year I wanted to bring burritos or tacos, but my Mother said they would be too messy. "How can you stand and talk with your friends and eat a burrito at the same time?" She asked. I knew she was right so I came up with the perfect recipe. For this recipe I took tortillas and spread the burrito filling in between the layers. My tortilla tower is mini because it is not very tall, but this recipe makes two towers and if you want to stack them on top of each other yours will be tall.
Happy New Year
For this recipe you will need to use a serrated knife and the stove. If you are not allowed to use a serrated knife or the stove by yourself you can have a grown up help.
- A serrated knife has a scalloped edge and looks like a little saw. It is good for cutting bread.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a heat proof rubber spatula, a sauté pan a serrated knife, a cutting board, a can opener, a medium sized mixing bowl and a microwaveable bowl.
ChefElla's Mini-Tortilla Tower
(This recipe will make 2 tortilla towers 8-12 servings each)
10 ea Large Flour Tortillas, 12 inch
1 Can Refried Beans, 16 oz
1 Jar Queso Dip or Smooth Cheese Dip, at least 8 oz. (I use the mild variety)
2 tsp Cumin, Ground
1 lb. Ground Beef or Ground Turkey
1 pkg Taco Seasoning, 1.25oz
1 pkg Guacamole, 8 oz
-If you have a guacamole recipe you like you can make your own.
1 tub Cream Cheese, 8oz
1/4 cup Salsa, use your favorite kind
-If you have a salsa recipe you like you can make your own.
1 Tbl Olive Oil
3. Heat your sauté pan on the stove. Add olive oil and ground meat to the pan. Break up the meat into
small pieces as it cooks with your spatula. As the meat cooks it will be easier to break it into smaller
and smaller pieces. When the meat is no longer pink add the taco seasoning and finish according to
the directions on the package. Put the meat into the refrigerator and let cool.
4. Open your refried beans and put into the microwaveable bowl. Add cumin and mix, cover and cook
in the microwave for 1 min 30 seconds. Put the beans in the refrigerator uncovered and let cool.
5. In your medium bowl mix the salsa and cream cheese until they are blended.
6. After about 20 minutes, the meat should be cool, mix in 1/4 cup queso dip. Then mix 1/4 cup queso
dip into the refried beans.
7. Lay one tortilla on a flat plate or cake stand. Spread 1/2 of the refried bean mix on the tortilla. Leave
about 1/4 inch of the edge uncovered. Lay a tortilla on top of the beans. Spread 1/2 of the meat
mixture on the tortilla. Lay a tortilla on top of the meat. Spread 1/2 of the guacamole on the tortilla.
Lay a tortilla on top of the guacamole. Spread 1/2 of the cream cheese salsa over the tortilla. Top
the cream cheese salsa with a tortilla. If you want to make a tall tortilla tower just repeat the process
until all of the fillings are gone. Cover the tower with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- If you want to make two tortilla towers just start the process all over again.
8. To serve your tortilla tower cut into triangles like a pizza or use toothpicks and cut into small squares.
Use the serrated knife and cut the tower like you are sawing a log. Do not press down on the tower
Serve the towers with taco sauce, extra guacamole, queso dip, or cream cheese salsa.
Happy New Year