Christmas morning is so much fun. Everyone is excited, happy to be together, and just a little tired. There is nothing better on a morning like this than a big breakfast. But who wants to cook? Luckily, I have the perfect recipe. An egg bake. You can make this recipe the night before or the week before and freeze it. You can use all of your favorite breakfast foods, or you can use your Christmas ham from the night before. Whatever you make your easy breakfast egg bake out of, it will be good, and it will be easy because all you do is stick it in the oven and then sit down and eat together.
For this recipe you will need to use a knife and the oven. If you are not allowed to use a knife or the oven by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons and cups, a whisk, a knife, a cutting board, a
9 X 9 baking pan, and a medium sized bowl.
ChefElla's Easy Breakfast Egg Bake
(This recipe will make 4 servings)
3 Cups French Bread, cut into large cubes (1 inch)
-You can substitute gluten free bread and the recipe will be just as good.
1 1/2 Cups Ham, large dice (1/2 inch)
1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, shredded
6 ea Eggs
1 1/2 Cups Milk
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/4 tsp Hot Sauce
-The hot sauce is not for heat but it adds a nice flavor. You can use whatever kind you like, but I would recommend Tabasco Sauce or Franks Hot Sauce.
3. Pre-heat oven to 350F.
4. Cut bread and ham. Line the bottom of the pan with the bread. Layer the ham on top of the bread. Sprinkle the cheese over the ham and bread.
5. Whisk together milk, eggs, salt, pepper and hot sauce in a bowl.
6. Slowly pour the egg mix over the ham, cheese and bread. Push any bread or ham sticking out into the egg mixture so that they get coated with the egg mix.
7. Cook the egg bake for 25 minutes. After 25 minutes poke toothpick into the center of the egg bake. If it comes out clean then the bake is done. If it is not ready cook for 5 more minutes and check again.
8. When done remove from the oven and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
If you prefer you can substitute cooked bacon, sausage or vegetables in your egg bake. You can also try different kinds of cheese in your egg bake.
If you make an egg bake ahead of time just cover with foil and reheat, if you freeze an egg bake ahead of time just let it thaw for 2 days in the refrigerator before reheating.