You cannot go anywhere this week without being cold. It is like the whole world is covered in snow and ice. No one wants to go outside, not even the dog. When my mom gets home she doesn't take her coat off for like one hour. The answer for me has been a bowl of soup, a full belly and a warm blanket. Soup seems like something only your grandmother makes, but it is quick and easy and with the right ingredients it can be filling too. Remember if you do not like some of the ingredients I use just substitute them for the products you like. This was my Grandpa's favorite soup, and my Grandpa liked good food, so I think you will like it too.
For this recipe you will need to use a knife and the stove. If you are not allowed to use a knife or the stove by yourself you can have a grown up help.
1. Wash your hands.
2. For this recipe you will need measuring spoons, a knife, a cutting board, a medium stock pot, a small
bowl, a plate and a heat proof spoon.
ChefElla's Beef and Barley Soup
(This recipe will make 4-6 servings)
1 Lb. Beef Stew Meat, or Roast, cut into bite size pieces
-Remember kids like ChefElla have small mouths so the pieces should be small for a kid not
small for a mom or dad.
1/2 cup Carrot, cut into bite sized pieces (2 small carrots, or 1 medium carrot)
1/2 cup Onion, cut into bite sized pieces (1/2 medium onion)
1/2 cup Celery, cut into bite sized pieces (1 large celery stalk)
-Wash celery stalk. Cut brown ends off of celery. Cut celery in half lengthwise. Cut each half of celery lengthwise again. You can continue to do this until the pieces are as thin as you want them. The thinner the celery is cut, the smaller the pieces will be when you chop them.
2 Qts Beef Stock (64oz)
3/4 Cup Barley, Quick Cooking.
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Black Pepper
3 Tbl Olive Oil
3. Cut vegetables first and put on your plate, and then Beef.
4. Heat medium sauce pan on medium high. When hot add 2 Tbl. of the olive oil. Add beef. Spread the beef evenly on the bottom of the pan. Let the beef cook on the bottom of the pan for 2-3 minutes without stirring. The beef will get a nice color on it called a sear. Stir the meat and let cook for another 2-3 minutes. Stir one more time and let cook another 2-3 minutes. Remove the beef and juice to a small bowl.
5. Return the pan to the heat and hot add 1Tbl. Olive Oil. Add vegetables and cook for 3-4 minutes. Stir occasionally so that the vegetables do not burn.
6. Add beef and juice back to the pot. Add beef stock and spices. Bring the soup to a boil. Turn down the heat to a simmer (bubbling just under boiling) and let cook for 20 minutes.
7. Add the quick oats and cook for at least 15 minutes.
8. Turn your soup to low and serve when ready.
Top your soup with crackers, serve with bread, or whatever else you can think of.
Enjoy and Keep Warm.